Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Might be moving to NW Colorado >

Might be moving to NW Colorado

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Might be moving to NW Colorado

Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Spike

Default Might be moving to NW Colorado

Hey all,
Might be moving to NW Colorado and always want an excuse to by another rifle.

Want to see if I have any holes in my stable.

22.250 (1-8" twist) Tikka T3x Left hand
6.5 Creedmoor, Tikka T3x Left hand
300 wsm, Tikka T3x Left hand

I am pretty sure these rifles could carry the gamut, but I'm a junkie and want another rifle.
  • If you had to hunt with either the 6.5 Creed or the 300wsm for elk...which one would you be your sweetie?
  • And/or if you could get another non-magnum rifle to the stable, what caliber would it be for maybe anything (non-bear) in Colorado...thinking Pronghorn, WT, Mule Deer, and/or Elk....
    • Again, this is filling a need that not might exist...but I'm a loonie and want another boom stick.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

You would be better just traveling to CO to hunt and staying in Texas to live unless you like dealing with liberals.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have the 300 WSM. That is all you need for NW CO. But if you want a rifle in non-mag for speedgoat you can't go wrong with either a 270 Win, 243 WIN or a 25-06. I'd also suggest a 6.5x55 Swede but you have the Creed so you have 6.5 covered already.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You would be better just traveling to CO to hunt and staying in Texas to live unless you like dealing with liberals.
If he stays in the NW part of the state and avoids Denver, Boulder and the ski areas he won't see many LIBs. Just like here in TX. As long as you stay away from Austin, Houston and downtown Dallas you don't run into many.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 AM
Spike

As far as NW Co and Libs...I've heard like mentioned, they tend to a little more 'cowboy' and/or conservative up that way.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Non magnum, the tried and true .30-06 is more than able to drop anything in North America. Including the big bears. Bullet selection and accuracy are your best friends with the .30-06. My dads go to gun for moose was his old .30-06 and he dropped quite a few over his long years of hunting. So if it is that capable for moose, elk is just a chip in comparison. If it likes them, load it up with some 180-200gr for elk and for speed goats load up some 150gr. The versatility of the .30-06 is it's true gift to us. I prefer my .300wm for elk but I've killed several with the old 06 and they were just as dead just as fast. Keep your shots 500 yards and under with the 06 and you will have pretty much the same performance as the .300wm. After 500 is where the 300 stretches is legs over the 06 when using the same bullets.