Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 17 HMR uses? >

17 HMR uses?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

17 HMR uses?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 17 HMR uses?

For all those who are using a .17HMR can I ask what you are shooting/hunting with it? What kind of effective range does it have and whats its performance on varmints or small game? I am debating between that and a .222 or .223.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Default RE: 17 HMR uses?

Well it is really no match for any centerfire. It is used for about the same things you would use a .22 mag for. However it offers a slightly flatter trajectory and in most cases better accuracy if it isn't windy.

It shines on game woodchuck sized or smaller out to 150 yards, maybe 200 if your a good shot. Some shoot medium sized game as well, which is why they came out with the 20 grn XTP rounds.

As far performance, the v-max's are devastating on small game. If you want to eat it you better shoot it in the head. They lack penitration though on larger tougher game. I think this round was really designed as a medium range P Dog killer. The 20 grn XTPs are a heavier controled expansion bullet that penitrate better and carry more down range energy.

It is probably the most fun you will ever have with a rimfire, but I wouldn't compare it with a .222 or a .223. I mean you can shoot the same type of bullet but much heavier and at faster velocities. So your range and effectiveness on game (amount of damage they will do) is much higher.

Here is a great link if you are interested in the 17 HMR

Varmint Al's

Paul
Old 07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Well it is really no match for any centerfire. It is used for about the same things you would use a .22 mag for. However it offers a slightly flatter trajectory and in most cases better accuracy if it isn't windy.

It shines on game woodchuck sized or smaller out to 150 yards, maybe 200 if your a good shot. Some shoot medium sized game as well, which is why they came out with the 20 grn XTP rounds.

As far performance, the v-max's are devastating on small game. If you want to eat it you better shoot it in the head. They lack penitration though on larger tougher game. I think this round was really designed as a medium range P Dog killer. The 20 grn XTPs are a heavier controled expansion bullet that penitrate better and carry more down range energy.

It is probably the most fun you will ever have with a rimfire, but I wouldn't compare it with a .222 or a .223. I mean you can shoot the same type of bullet but much heavier and at faster velocities. So your range and effectiveness on game (amount of damage they will do) is much higher.

Here is a great link if you are interested in the 17 HMR

Varmint Al's

Paul
Yep, pretty well sums it up. I have two of them and they are a VERY accurate round. Lots of fun. I also have a whole gunsafe full of other varmint rifles so variety is the key to having fun with varmint rifles IMO.HCH
Old 07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use my .17 as a mixed bag gun in southern Illinois. In MY experience, it is a good squirrel gun, with relatively little damage even with body shots. I've also used it on crows, while squirrel hunting, at ranges from 60 to 240 yards. I agree with most folks that it isn't too good with coyotes, but, if they are number three or four on your priority list while hunting on any given day, it should do. At least, i would think that its preferable to using a 22-250 while squirrel hunting because you might see a coyote.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 17 HMR and was a fun little gun to shoot but didn’t have to much success in accuracy. Didn’t shoot anything except for paper and coke cans. I also found it to be a pain to clean. I sold it and bought the 222. I wanted something that I could reload. Now it’s been a few month since I bought my .222 and I have it ready to sight in but just haven’t had the time. Hopefully I’ll have it sighted in later this summer. Looking forward to shooting this little guy...
Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have used mine on the following:

small hogs, coyotes, fall turkeys, raccoons, and turtles..lots and lots of turtles
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM

I agree on all above with one exception, I have yet to see a .22 mag hold a group at 200 yds. the way a .17 HMR will, not even close! Shot a few groundhogs for fun with mine, head shots will drop them on the spot with out so much as a twitch!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:10 PM

I don't see where anyone said the .22 mag was as accurate or more accurate? In most cases the 17 will be better, however on rimfirecentral there are a few guys that have .22 mags that are pretty darn accurate. I wouldn't call it the norm though.

Unless you have a deffective gun you can usually expect at least MOA accuracy out of a decent 17 HMR.

Paul
Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 PM

you'll never see me usuin no 17HMR

-Travis-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.