Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Single shot thoughts? >

Single shot thoughts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single shot thoughts?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Spike

Default Single shot thoughts?

Looking to shoot something different....maybe a Henry Single shot in .243 or CVA Hunter in the same? Most deer shots under 100 yds but would like to go back to kind of where I started...dependent on first shot only. Trying to mix it up without spending a fortune.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with a Browning single shot '06 for 30 years. I shot plenty of deer, and never felt the need for something else. I don't think that I ever needed a followup shot fast enough that I couldn't reload to make it happen. Pick an accurate one and go for it.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the question would be what did you have when you first started? It may (or may not) cost a little more but it will bring back a lot of good memories and at 100 yards or less, any single shot will work.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Ive never had any issues using a browning 78 falling block, (well other than its so pretty I'm constantly worried I may scratch it, or screw up the finish.)
the picture posted below is not my 300 wby , but it could be a clone, Ive ,loaded with 165 grain speer bullets,pushed to about 3100fps with a stiff load of H4831 and a 215 fed primer, has up to now had an un blemished record of DRT (DEAD RIGHT THERE) kills,
Ive used it for mule deer not elk, but to be fair I've used it mostly on mule deer, only because the ranges can in theory be longer and not because I would need the power the rifle has.
and ironically I rarely have taken shots at over 300 yards, and I doubt the total kill exceeded 12 mule deer that I've used it on, over the last 45 years..btw its a browning 78 with a 26" length barrel similar to this picture, that I had re-barreled by shillen in the 1970s

btw the extractor from a 7mm rem mag browning 78 and a re-chamber bit is all thats required to convert a 30/06 B78 to 300 WBY
but I found the fore arm needed bedding to return the rifles full accuracy potential after the re-chamber up-grade

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-04-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

love those single shots but today's prices a bolt action rifle is less than a couple of dollars difference. i love the 1 shot challenge.always make you first shot your only shot. if you really want a true 1 shot challenge try using a muzzleloader. now that will get your blood going.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really like the Ruger #1 but I have enough rifles now. I would have no problem hunting deer with a good single shot rifle. I have killed a lot of deer and it never took more than one shot with a rifle. Even the only two running deer I killed were killed with the first shot.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

There are plenty of single shot options out there.

I've owned a handful of the NEF Handi Rifles. I think I've had .243s, .22-250, .223s, .270, .30-06. All have been decent rifles and all were bought for under $200. Might be something to consider if you just want to try something before dropping a large bill on a nice single.

The only one I had problems with was a used and abused .223 that had some ejection issues, but I got it straightened out.

You can find them on the used pages for around $150 most of the time.

-Jake
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Prices on the NEF’s have gone through the roof.

Personally, I don’t have interest in single shots. If you want to force yourself into a mind game, just load one round into your bolt gun. I’d rather deal with my self-discipline issues appropriately, rather than trying to use hardware to fix a software problem for program compliance.

The Henry or the CVA are fine. My money for a single shot would go towards an Encore Pistol, then conversion hardware if I wanted a rifle.

The only single shot rifle I have which I really enjoy is an H&R Buffalo Classic, love mine in 45-70, but always wish I had picked up a 38-55 too.

The new Nosler M48 NCH is a very interesting single shot, for me at least.