Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Inherited WWII 8mm Mauser >

Inherited WWII 8mm Mauser

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Inherited WWII 8mm Mauser

Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default Inherited WWII 8mm Mauser

Have a rifle I inherited from my Dad. Had it up in NY for 15 years. Not a registered gun. Not original stock. No serial numbers. Would like to legally sell. Any advice on how to go about doing that would be welcome. Thanks B. Wolf
Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless someone filed them off, the rifle has a serial number. The Germans serialed about every part of the assembled gun, hence the term "matching" in reference to all the parts having matching serial numbers to the receiver.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the above. Take the action out of the stock and check for a serial number.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the ATF website and read applicable sections. Also, check with your state laws.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BBWolf3057
Have a rifle I inherited from my Dad. Had it up in NY for 15 years. Not a registered gun. Not original stock. No serial numbers. Would like to legally sell. Any advice on how to go about doing that would be welcome. Thanks B. Wolf
Take it out of NY and simply sell it private party. Serial number only important if it goes through an FFL and right now there is no nationwide requirement that all firearms be sold via an FFL.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Long explanation short, if it has no serial numbers, then they have been removed. ALL Mauser made rifles had serial numbers on most every part. Now it may be possible that you have one that was a BNZ contract and some of those didn't number the receiver but did number dang near everything else. But if it was an actual Mauser made rifle then there should be a serial number on the receiver. If you have a rifle that has had the numbers removed from the action, no matter if it predates the 1968 GCA, then you have an illegal rifle. If for some reason or another that rifle fell into ATF's hands, you would be charged quite viciously. Many manufacturers made firearms with no numbers before 1968 and having one of them in your possession is not illegal but the law clearly states that if the numbers have been removed from the action then that is in violation and you absolutely will at the least be fined heavily with more than likely some jail time.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flags, this is directly taken from an ATF posting, and it seems to be in conflict with what you say. I'm not trying to be an egghead or a wise guy, just don;t want anyone in trouble.

"Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check....The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)."

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

Here's another statement:

"Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-an...-gca-any-state

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 03-22-2018 at 07:03 PM.