Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
CZ550 Safari Magnum .458 Win Mag >

CZ550 Safari Magnum .458 Win Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ550 Safari Magnum .458 Win Mag

Old 03-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You assume a guy is going to shoot $1800 worth of 458wm ammo. For most guys who own one, this is absolutely absurd.

Exactly.

As I stated, the 140 rds it came with will last me a long time.

If I load for it, it will be just because I want to. Not to save money.
I'll never shoot it enough to worry about saving money. But I may want to load up some lighter options.

-Jake
Old 03-09-2018, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

the absurdity in owning a 458 win or 458 LOTT, here in the lower 48 states, would be related to shooting dozens of full power loads that cost $6-$12 each,and not having the rifle very useful for the more common game like deer or elk, once you decide that the effort to reload too a much more comfortable recoil level, is an option you might care too take, and after you find a very accurate load matching your rifle, and reduce the cost to well under 70 cents a shot (easily done) using cast bullets that can be every bit as accurate as the factory ammo,many people see the ownership of a big bore rifle differently, it puts owning and using a 458 win or 458 LOTT, rifle in a whole lot more user and wallet friendly role, in your list of rifles, you grab going to the range or out hunting. yes the rifles do tend to be a bit heavy , but two of my friends have used 458 win rifles with reduced cast bullet loads successfully on Elk and one guy prefers a mild load with a 355 grain cast bullet at about 1400 fps for hogs and deer here in Florida.
while I'd agree that few people would want to use full power factory ammo all that often,
the 458 win and 458 Lott can be hand loaded rather easily too be used at reduced power levels, making the rifle more pleasant to shoot.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the reason so many folks thumb their nose at the bullet casters cult.

“If you’re not in, you should be, and if you don’t want to be, you’re stupid.”

Ignore list.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

If you want to load light, lessen recoil, etc, why buy a .458?

Kinda defeats the purpose.

I have a .45-70. I have .35cal, .33cal, 32 cal, .30 cal, .28cal.. well, you get the point.

The draw of this rifle for me was #1 the price point. #2 the "wow" factor. If I want to load down to .45-70 levels I'll just pull out the .45-70....

It's a little obtuse to say that using a rifle the way it is intended to be used is "absurd"....

I don't care what you load or don't load. Good to know that it can be reduced. I don't see myself having the desire to reduce it. At least not at this time.

I'll use up the 140 rds that I have, and then start loading more if I decide to keep the rifle.

-Jake
Old 03-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

excellent! I too THINK I would prefer the American style stock but can't say I've ever shouldered the European, let alone shot one behind a 500+ gr bullet! Get a Pachmayr or LimbSaver and use the 140 rounds over the next 8 years!

Great purchase!

TR