Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage Axis sale >

Savage Axis sale

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Axis sale

Old 12-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Savage Axis sale

Just a heads up there is a great sale on the Savage Axis. Academy has them at 299$ with a cheapy scope. Then there is a 100$ off coupon on top of that til the end of the week.

Wife wants to get me one for Christmas but I can't make up my mind on a dang caliber lol. I've always wanted a 308 but the 7-08 and the 25-06 are tickling fancy also lol. I own a 243 and a 7mag in Remingtons and enjoy them both but at this price its hard to pass up. I mainly hunt whitetails but do a little predator and I hope to eventually get after muleys, black bear and elk one day.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the 7mm-08 over the 25/06 and the .308. The .25/06 tends to be a bit of a throat burner so barrel life isn't that great and, in my opinion, the 7mm-08 just flat out performs better than the parent case .308 with less recoil and you can get better performance with a shorter barrel.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

I'm with ya on the better performance of the 7-08 but since I don't have the reloading equipment the .308 has more choices. That's the only reason I'm having a tough time making up my mind.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I would back you on the 308 .
Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Of those listed, I would go for the .7mm-08.

-Jake
Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Ended up getting the 308 but I was very interested in the 7-08 and the 6.5. It was the over the counter options that got me. If I reloaded I probably would have chosen differently. I also ended up getting the Axis II as it was only 50$ more for the upgraded bull barrel, Weaver Scope (still cheapy though) and the Accutrigger.

The stock seems kinda flimsy so I will probably upgrade it eventually. I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg to do so. This will end up being my main use gun and will end up getting used hard so I don't need to make it too fancy. My Rem 700 BDL is my fancy gun in 7mm lol although I just found a round I love with it so it will be hard to put down lol