Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American >

Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American

Old 12-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's easy to overthink these kinds of things, and also not to fully understand someone else's motives. If you want a .204, go buy yourself a .204. Do so knowing that ammunition won't be as commonly available and it does have some limitations due to its light bullet.

Your budget doesn't tend to indicate that you're a candidate for the "full dress" target rifle ($$$$). And while you don't say that you're interested in hunting with it, many of us do own a centerfire "target rifle", often disguised as a "varmint rifle" that we'll not only cover a prairie dog town with, but may go to the range and shoot paper or steel with as well.

Many manufacturers build such a "varmint" rifle, typically with heavier, longer barrels. These are typically had in .204, .223, .22-250, .243, and .308. There may be more, I just don't look that often these days. I own all but the .204. Cheapest to shoot OFTEN is the .223. It ties with the .243 for ammo availability (at least out here). .308 is also widely available, but most of that will be FMJ M80-clone (machinegun) ammo or dedicated (150-180 gr) hunting rounds that aren't often inexpensive. .22-250 is less available, and I find that MY rifle is so sensitive and finicky in what works well that I now handload everything it eats.

As well as a good optic, good mounts. My rule is to budget at least as much for the optic as I do the rifle.