Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American >

Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American

Old 12-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Spike

Default Ruger Hawkeye vs CZ American

Curious if the CZ American 204 Ruger is worth $200 more than the Ruger Hawkeye in 204 (can get new Hawkeye for $499 Vs $679 for CZ). I am a lefty so that might be a factor. This rifle will primarily be a paper puncher.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both are built on fine solid hunting actions but neither would be really ideal for a dedicated target rifle.

I should answer your question. I like both actions for a hunting rifle but do not care for either's action for a target rifle. I am not a fan either's trigger. I would not pay anything extra for the CZ.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Not to me it wouldn't be...

-Jake
Old 12-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned above, neither would be my choice for a target rifle. However, the CZ, in my experience, will shoot smaller than the Ruger.

What made you choose the 204 Ruger?
Old 12-27-2017, 04:15 AM
Spike

Why 204...can get a good deal, especially on Hawkeye.

But, also because can be reloaded for practically nothing, zero recoil, and if I get invite to yote and/hog/pdog hunt, i would be set. Plus there is room for a 204/223 type rifle. If i could get same deal on 22-250, I would grab it in heartbeat
Old 12-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Odd to see a price difference between cartridges within the same model. The 204R is kind of a "love it or hate it" round for a lot of folks, and tends to be less versatile than the 223 or 22-250 you mention. If I could only have ONE small game cartridge, it would be a 223rem with a Wylde chamber. I enjoy my 204R, but had to build it in an AR before I really enjoyed it, as I really wasn't thrilled with it in a bolt gun. What kind of deal specifies only the 204R version of these two particular rifles is on a discount? I've never heard of such a thing, especially on a Ruger product.

None of that is really meant to say the 204R is a bad choice for your desires, but for a rifle which will primarily be a paper puncher, with potential opportunities for coyotes or prairie dogs, personally, I'd say the 223rem has multiple advantages. The 204R runs about 5% more powder than 223rem, brass is less common and more expensive, there are less options available for 20cal bullets - and with lower availability - and factory ammo is less common with lower selection if you ever need something in a pinch. Not sure how much shooting you'll be doing, but you'll also get somewhere around 1500-2800 rounds of accurate barrel life from the 204R, whereas the 223rem will run 3000-5000 (button vs. cut rifled). For a guy who might shoot a few boxes per year, barrel life isn't much concern. For a guy who might run 500 rounds in a day or a weekend on a prairie dog town, a few times a year, that adds up to a new barrel every year or so. You would EASILY eat up a couple hundred bucks worth of extra powder, higher cost brass, and shortened barrel life to make a full price rifle in 223rem come out to be cheaper than the sale priced 204 Ruger rifle you're considering.

The rebarreling cost and ease of finding a smith is something to consider as well. There aren't as many smiths willing to work on Rugers, many will claim the cast receivers are prone to cracking during the rebarreling work, and won't do the job on them. The CZ has a pretty standard mauser style action, so while many smiths may not have worked on a CZ in particular, they'll be familiar with the design. So if you're going to be shooting a lot where barrel life will matter for you, the CZ likely has an advantage.

Again, don't take that to say the 204 Ruger is a bad choice - but since you're letting money drive your choice of the rifle, be sure you really understand where the money will be flowing. I absolutely love my 204Ruger AR-15, it's a prairie dog smoking machine. I don't spend much time on the target range with it, only enough to stay familiar with the trajectory, and I dedicate its barrel life to hunting, p-dogs, bobcats, fox, and coyotes.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe this CZ is a mini Mauser action. The mini M is a neat little action but not a very commonly seen item. Aftermarket items will be scarce. My BIL has one (.223) and it is a fun little rifle, but hardly a target rifle. His is different from most internet rifles - it will not shoot sub MOA every time nor will it powder aspirins 500 yards in a stiff wind. I did develop some handloads that were respectable for this rifle but I would keep my money in my pocket when I spent time with it at the club range. His is well made and the accuracy is plenty good enough for a "walking" varmint rifle.

A different BIL has the Ruger rifle chambered in 204. It is also a very nice rifle. It has killed a number of coyotes at ranges up to about 400 yards. It is accurate enough and very fast but I have not shot that tiny bullet in any real wind yet.

The trigger on the Ruger is a bit heavy, and the trigger on the mini M is a single set. I am not a fan of single set triggers, but at least it is not double set triggers. If a fellow was so inclined it would be much easier to find a replacement (better) for the Ruger.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good point, Big Uncle - if the CZ American is the Mini action, it's a hard pass for me as a target rifle. Great rifle for hot foot hunting, not so much for precision work.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Spike

Assuming y'all talked me out of 204...what rifle/company for a 22-250? Budget is 1k max for rifle (Left required).
Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to look at the site for a big retailer like Buds Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com) to get an idea of what might be available in your price range. I just took a very quick look and saw a Remington 700 and a Savage in left hand bolt actions that could work. Both are common rifles that shoot very well and are well within your budget.

The 700 has a heavy barrel and would do everything on your list. I am not wild about the stock that comes with this model but that is an easy and fairly inexpensive fix if you do not like it. This one with the 26" heavy barrel would be my choice, but I am sure not everyone would agree.

The Savage is not my cup of tea but there are plenty of Savage fans around that will tell you how accurate they are.

I think you got excellent advice to use a 223 if you are going to do any volume shooting. The barrel will hold top accuracy longer with the 223 and brass is very easy to find, but if you are set on speed the good old 22-250 is a good choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.