Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun trade question? >

Gun trade question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun trade question?

Old 12-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Gun trade question?

So, I got the itch for a savage 99 a few years ago. I picked up a nice one and shot a few doe with it. Enjoyed it.

Kinda looking for something different, so I posted it on a local classified for trades. Somebody offered a Remington 760 Gamemaster in .300 Savage for trade. They are in similar condition.

Thoughts on this trade? I have plenty of other rifles and just like to have new stuff to play with. But I don't wanna get hammered on a deal either.

-Jake
Old 12-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 99 is worth more than the PA trombone, you would be getting the short end of the stick, get an appraisal on the 99 and go from there.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

It's worth $400-$500 in this area from what I can tell. I've had it listed for $600 a few times and had some calls but no serious offers. I've had offers at $500... But, I really wasn't too interested in selling it unless I could get $600......

What do you think a Game Master in good condition in .300 Sav would be worth?

Couldn't be that much less. Maybe $350-$450? Maybe I could get him to throw some ammo my way?

-Jake
Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not being an expert appraiser on the value of rifles I would have to say if both parties were satisfied it was a good deal, unless you find out after the fact that your gun was worth more then the one you got in return. That might stick in your craw. I know the mod 99 is desirable to many people and the 760s are common. Not knowing the condition of either I still would recommend an appraisal of both if for no other reason, for peace of mind tat you didn't get taken. Just the PA Dutchman in me.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing long term the 99 will be worth more. I'll see if he wants to add any cash my way or ammo or something like that to even it up.

-Jake
Old 12-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sold guns for a long time, it was very easy to pick up 760's scopes and slings and?? for the 200 buck range and resell them for 250-450 pending exact model and condition
the 99's are getting rarer and rarer to find and many folks pay silly amounts for them to add a ":X": caliber to there collection
the savage is a some what collectible, the 760's are a dime a dozen gun
but condition of both will dictate value, as will caliber on both too
I would NOT trade a 99 for a 760 unless the 99 was beat to snot, and even then I might not, Rather just rebuild it and make it pretty again and keep it, and THEN if wanted to sell it, odds are you would break even on what you paid to have it redone, (refinish stock and re blue or Cerakote it) and if really bad, but harder to re coupe maybe, re barrel it LOL
Not a lot of folks will still hunt with these 99's due to they worry about value, but a GOOD redone one would already loss its collectible value, and I bet a bunch of lever gun guys would pay a DECENT price for a nice redone one to actually shoot and hunt with!, food for thought on that side of things
but again all really comes down to condition what its worth and what you should or shouldn't do to it!
or its been my experience
sold over 17,000 guns out of my store as for an idea on what all I seen in gun sales
Old 12-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

what model 99 ya got? is it a 99E, 99C, 99DL, if its a 99PE and ya trade it for a 760 I'm kicking your ass!
RR
Old 12-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

It's an EG in .300 sav in good condition. I hunt with it. I don't have any guns for looks. At least not yet...

-Jake
Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

hang on to it Jake, 760's ain't that great, I have both. just mho
RR
Old 12-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you were a little closer and wanted to trade for a shot gun, I'd make you an offer on a nice old ithaca lefever shotgun, nice case coloring and engraving
but your almost on the other side of the state, and don't get that way much, north of you a bunch yes,m but not near you LOL
been looking for another nice 300 sav in a 99, for shooting and or hunting and NOT a safe queen
OH well, was just a thought ,
I thought I would share LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.