Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New (to me) Encore barrel - 15" 460 S&W >

New (to me) Encore barrel - 15" 460 S&W

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New (to me) Encore barrel - 15" 460 S&W

Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default New (to me) Encore barrel - 15" 460 S&W

My 243 Winchester barrel, the first Encore barrel I ever owned, quickly became a safe queen after I began to expand my collection. As a deer hunting barrel, it was outclassed by my 300 Win Mag barrel. For target practice, my 221 Fireball barrel is much cheaper to shoot. So I decided to send it to someone who will put it to use.

I got this barrel in return.

For a while now, I've been wanting a 460 S&W barrel for my Encore. Yes, I have a Model 460, but I wanted an Encore barrel in that chambering as well. Just looking at it, I can tell this thing is going to be downright awful to shoot. It has a very narrow factory taper rather than a heavy or full bull profile, and it lacks any muzzle brake or porting, not to mention a scope.
Unfortunately, it's a bit late in the year to get it properly set up for deer season. That said, it won't be sitting around in the safe. I've got an idea on how I can utilize it this season.

Two years ago, I experimented with my other Model 460 and Unique powder for reduced loads. Although I've lost my notes, I remember they were acceptably accurate and quite pleasant to shoot while still being potent enough for close range deer hunting. I'm going to load up some 250 grain XTPs and Unique powder to try to replicate a 45 Colt Ruger/TC only load. If I can't figure out the issue with my 41 Magnum's dot sight, and if this thing shoots pretty well, then this setup will be my close range deer gun this fall.

Next spring/summer, this thing is getting an SSK brake and a Nikon Force XR scope.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Lone Wolf was your encore a rifle first or how does this system work. The reason I am asking I just picked up a 223 Pro Hunter Encore. The rifle version It appears up here in Canada barrels may be hard to find. Wondering though if that 460 could shot through the rifle version or did you get a pistol conversion. One thing will be for sure I think you can create some pretty stiff loads in that Encore.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wild bill g - it may not work the same in Canada, so you'll have to check your own laws. In the US, the ruling stands such if a TC Encore shipped originally as a rifle, it cannot be made into a pistol. However, if the Encore shipped originally as a kit or as a pistol, it can forever onward be swapped back and forth from full length rifle to pistol and vice versa.

There is no conversion required to install a .460 S&W rifle barrel on your .223rem Encore rifle. Simply buy a new barrel.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

NM I meant as from rifle to pistol but from what I understand they are the same platform. Thanks for your in put not sure how the rifle to pistol works up here. We apparently only register the frame so who knows.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

You could always email T/C the serial number to see what configuration it was sold as. However, I did once ask them, and they said they've had all their frames technically classified as pistols now. That would explain why my mom had so much trouble buying my dad's Pro Hunter muzzleloader all those years ago. I think in my state you had to have a license to buy a handgun (that you were basically issued when you buy the handgun) back then, but it required additional documentation other than just a driver's license. There wouldn't have been any reason for her to have had to go through all that just to buy what would technically be considered a rifle if the frame wasn't classified as a pistol.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your mom bought it as a rifle, but had issues with it being slated a handgun, then the FFL didn't know his laws very well. How it comes into inventory and how it is sold is what dictates their records. 4473's and inventory records are NOT classification docs, so if he received it as a rifle and sold it as such, it doesn't matter that it could be rebuilt as a pistol. The current configuration is what matters for inventory and transfer record. She shouldn't have to have gotten a permit to purchase for a rifle.

If it wasn't barreled, then it would have been an "Other." Not a handgun. But that does require, in some states, the same permit to purchase as a handgun.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my Pro Hunter as a rifle and did not need a pistol permit. However if I now bought a pistol stock for it our government would be none the wiser. To buy the pistol stock would require no permit or change of classification to my rifle. Even if I by a pistol barrel I do not have to register it only the frame of the TC is registered.