Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington rifles >

Remington rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington rifles

Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 AM
Spike

Default Remington rifles

Just trying to get an opinion on the weather their box store rifles are as of good quality. I am looking at Dicks for a long range model 700 adl. I am looking for a target/varmit rifle this rifle seems to look decent but was wondering if I would get a better performing rifle from an actual local gun store.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

No. They're all the same.

The gun stores get the same as the box stores.

If the model numbers match, they are the same rifle.

-Jake
Old 10-30-2017, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The big box stores (Walmart, etc.) order from the same wholesalers as the local gun shops, but with perhaps different pricing.

Sometimes the big stores have special package deals with rings, bases, and scope that are not sold in the local shops. Other than the package deals the product is the same. A Remington 700 sold by Walmart, Dicks, Cabelas, Bass Pro, or the local shop is the same.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 10-30-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

yup same gun, just big store have bulk buying power to get guns , and even sell the same guns at prices below what a smaller gun shop could even BUY them for.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input.
I thought I heard somewhere that the ADL was just sold to box store chains and were more of a budget rifle that had been discontinued from Remington's inventory but were now just made for certain special order chains.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

lots of gun makers do special runs for certain large store, but then again, you cannot BUY them models at smaller gun shops, as there store ONLY exclusives,
this has gone on for a 100+ yrs with guns if your old enough, you will recall when Sears and like store had guns made by main line makers with there logo on!

ADL';s have always been lower value 700's, and they still are today!
some of them you cannot very easily BUILD off there actions, as they will not accept drop floor plates or magazines, due to designs of the ADL actions.
NOTHING a quality smith cannot correct,m but it adds costs to things and your better off most times with just a standard 700 action that is more build able AS IS!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
ADL';s have always been lower value 700's, and they still are today!
some of them you cannot very easily BUILD off there actions, as they will not accept drop floor plates or magazines, due to designs of the ADL actions.
NOTHING a quality smith cannot correct,m but it adds costs to things and your better off most times with just a standard 700 action that is more build able AS IS!
That is close but not quite right. The ADL action is the same as the BDL, CDL, etc. but with a blind box magazine. The conversion kits are available from Brownell's and others to change the ADL to a magazine with a floorplate without taking a trip to the local gunsmith. It is easy to build from an ADL action.

Although the ADL is most often found in the big box stores it shares the same action, trigger, and barrel with the other models.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took a minute and looked at the Dick's ADL package. It looks like a fairly good deal although it does comes with a scope made in China. It would be easy to upgrade this rifle's scope, stock, trigger, etc. later.

The SPS has largely taken the place of the ADL in the Remington lineup. It is basically the same rifle as the ADL but with a hinged floorplate instead of a blind box magazine.