Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 770 - Already own it ? >

Remington 770 - Already own it ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 770 - Already own it ?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by djc227
It definitely got bumped. We were riding in a Ranger and it was day 2. Still wouldn't have thought 5 MOA. Obviously the $20 Bushnell scope and rings aren't made to stand up to the abuse. I switched guns and dropped the next one, albeit at 160. Probably still could have made that shot. Thinking about DMZ one piece rings and Vortex 4-16x42 Diamondback HP SPF and then if it's still shooting poorly just getting a new gun, which I like to do anyway! Any thoughts on floating he barrel on the 770?
Floating the barrel. beading the barrel. One helps with cooling, one helps with harmonics. My feeling is the first shot is the only one that counts when hunting. First shot consistency is what counts, you rarely shoot it hot, the harmonics are unlikely to change much first shot to first shot, unless the outside temperature drastically chnages.

After a good trigger and good reliable glass, and other than the obvious basics, consistent distance from your eye to the scope can be important. Try something, put your rifle in a solid position so it lays solidly hands off (I carefully use a padded vice on tripod legs) . Notice where your cross hairs are on any handy target. Get a little close to the scope and roll your head some and see what the cross hairs do. Now back off until you are farther away than normal and repeat, roll your head a little and see what the cross hairs do. The sweet spot is the distance where the black ring around the lighted scope picture disappears and no farther. Parallax scope to scope can be different, some adjust and some are fixed, sometimes the distance your eye is from the scope can be important. Something nice to know if your reticle moves around as the distance from your scope and eye changes. Learning to always get the same distance from the scope to my eye tightened my groups up. With some scopes it is more critical than others, but nice to know if your scope has this issue.

Good shooting is basically consistency, even if you do everything wrong, if you do it wrong the same way every time, you will shot well.