Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Get what you pay for myth >

Get what you pay for myth

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Get what you pay for myth

Old 10-30-2003, 11:05 AM

Default Get what you pay for myth

Ive heard this phrase more since I joined this site than in my whole life previous. Do you guys actually believe this? Is a high priced Sako or Tikka truely a better hunting rifle than a Rem. mod 7? Are the high priced Berreta' s and Winchester scatterguns truely WORTH more than the lowly Charles Daly or MP153? Sure, the price tag is substantially different, but do you believe this makes them a superior gun to hunt with? Alot of guys will continue to say " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" ,but do you, really?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Get what you pay for myth

Plainsman, I think in very few instances you' ll actually see something really worth its price... It' s all about percieved value
Old 10-30-2003, 12:09 PM

In my opinion, in about 90 % of the cases, YES. Especially when it comes to things like optics and firearms. And alot of it depends on what you want it to do.

If you were buying a car, you can get a number of dependable rides that cost less than 10,000.00. They' ll transport you from point a to point b just as well as a 60,000.00 Cadillac, Lincoln, or Mercedes.

Firearms are not that difficult to make. Anyone with machine shop experience, and a few machines can do this. However, to really pay attention to all the little details (like making barrels straight), using the best materials, making them right instead of just throwing them together, all takes skilled craftsmen that pay close attention to those details. Hand fitting and polishing all this tiny little parts that makes it go bang. You' re gonna pay a little more for their time.

Let me put it to you this way. Let' s say you' re a guy that wants to carry a gun for protection. (I realize you' re in Canada and that may be a reach for you with the gun laws you have up there). Would you want to carry a gun on you for protection if you hadn' t fully tested it out to ensure it would work 100 % of the time? 99% don' t get it. It must function properly every time it' s needed, or you could wind up dead. (Now before you go there, yes, some of the best, most expensive handguns on the market do sometimes fail, but they also have the company backing you up with a warranty to fix it before you have to rely on it) Which would you trust more? A Llama .45 or a Les Baer .45? You could buy 5 or 6 Llama' s for the cost of one of the Baers. But believe me, the attention to detail in one, and the lack of it in the other is glaring!!! If you put those two guns in your hands, and you really must buy one that would protect you in a life and death situation, you will find a way to buy the Baer.

That' s kind of an exagerated way of getting the point across, but I think you see it.

There' s other things that the phrase doesn' t apply to. A 200.00 bow will kill deer the same as a 600.00 bow. And both may be of equal quality. I truly believe it doesn' t apply in this instance as long as you buy the 200.00 bow from a reputable manufacturer. Look at the opinions on the " Remington 700 or 710" thread. A lot of heated discussions there, but if you take a head count, you' ll see more favorable responses for the 700 than the 710.

Sorry this is so long winded, but I' m one of the guys that believes in " you get what you pay for" , at least 90% of the time anyway.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

YES....you do get what you pay for.....most of the time

Careful now, a fine SKB O/U has a cost associated with it and a highly engraved SKB by Angelo Bee comes at three times the price. Is the " Bee" a better gun? Absolutely not.

However the SKB O/U is at least twice the price of today' s Chas Daly and is worth every dime extra...and then some.

There are some exceptions and I' m hearing very good things about the Savage bolt action rifles. But they had better have come a long ways from the ones I had in the 1998 era!

Do you get what you pay for?....Yes usually....however listing in to forums like this help a lot to avoid buying the garbage available.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:29 PM

I was going to bring up Savage. They are one of the most accurate rifles out of the box I have ever shot. They are generally ugly though. I do believe that the smoothness in the action does get better with the more you spend, but for accuracy. I would have to say not necessarily.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

As in with everything else, the devil is in the details, and details are the expensive part. Better fitting parts, better machining, better finish, better materials, cost more money.

Old 10-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been pretty happy with the things I buy performing as I expected them to perform. I have had excellent results with the pretty low dollar Bushnell scopes. Many I have used for up to twenty years. Savage rifles have always shot very well for me. I had one bad one but they replaced it in a heartbeat. Some things are just over priced and are selling the name. But with a little expierience and a little research and above all with an open mind, I think you can get what you pay for. I don' t give a two bit damn about fancy or pretty I buy a product to do a job and since I don' t have much money I check things pretty close before I spend it. I do not feel that just spending more will get you a better product.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i believe it......if youve never handled one of hte expensive guns......or looked through a expensive piece of glass ect.....you wouldnt think so.....but there is......play with a sako......then pick up a remington 710.....play with a mossberg then play with a benelli.....look through a tasco.....then a leupold....in my expirience 90% of the time you get what you pay for.......some cheap things will do its job......sure a mossberg will shoot for you.......but its not the smoothest action or strongest.....or nicest looking.....ect....you pay more....you get more......ive taken 100s of game animals with my mossberg so dont bash me.....im not bashing anyone or anything.....and i have a tasco on my 22....its a fixed 4x....its been on there for a few years....and always works for me.....isnt crystal clear but for 20 bucks i dont even think you can buy clear glass let alone a good scope.....ill get a new one on it eventually .....but it works......ask the 5 squirrels i whacked with it this year.....in one eye out the other...or between the eyes and out the rear......but if you want a good product you gota pay for it......when i bought my first leupold i couldnt believe how much better it was!!...so i think it is true.....but cheap things can and will work if taken care of and selected properly........
Old 10-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Several low dollar guns shoot just as well or better than some very high priced guns.Take weatherby for example-the low priced vanguard comes with the same 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee as the accumark which costs three times as much.Savages often shoot just as accurately as much more expensive guns.However if you want a rifle guaranteed to shoot 1/2" groups you will pay a premium price although it will still be less than some of the fancy artwork put out by companies such as weatherby and beretta that sell for prices exceeding $4000 or more.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also believe that you really do get what you pay for at least 80 or 90% of the time.
As someone also said, the devil is in the details!
workmanship, seen or unseen...... costs,
pretty......................................... costs,
quality control..............................costs!
" Pretty" , I can do without! The other two factors are what counts! Thats where the Savages and Winchesters shine! Quality and nice prices! If you want and can afford more, there is nothing wrong with that either.
On the other hand, you have some companies that mix in just enough " pretty" , skimp on the workmanship and quality control, and you end up with cheap, " pot luck!" You may get lucky and get the rare cheap jewel, that lasts a lifetime! Most of the time you' ll get something that will breakdown and disapoint you, usually at the most inopportune time!
Savage, Winchester, and the Rem. 700' s will do what they are made to do! At a reasonable price.
In scopes, a good 200.00 Leupold will give you a lifetime of good use! (Just don' t compare it to a 1000.00 scope!)
Then you could buy one, 100.00 Trashco, get lucky and never look back! Odds are though, you' ll end up buying five, 100.00 cheapo' s and end up missing hard earned shots at game, when you coulda had a good Luey for way less in the first place!
Yep, ya get what ya pay fer!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Get what you pay for myth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.