Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Can I remove red dot, reinstall, still accurate? >

Can I remove red dot, reinstall, still accurate?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can I remove red dot, reinstall, still accurate?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Can I remove red dot, reinstall, still accurate?

Trying to fit my ar15 in pelican case, have med HT rail and inexpensive red dot attached. Sighted gun in and it is shooting well but gun doesn't fit in case very well w red dot on. Can I remove it to travel then re install rail and sight without messing up accuracy or poi ?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Should" be able too...but I would test it out at home first before traveling to a hunt or shoot somewhere...
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Spike

Yes make a dry run like jeepkid said that way you will know for sure !!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Spike

Yes make a dry run like jeepkid said !!!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Spike

YES make a dry run like jeepkid said then you will know for sure !!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

We heard you all THREE times, LOL!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
Trying to fit my ar15 in pelican case, have med HT rail and inexpensive red dot attached. Sighted gun in and it is shooting well but gun doesn't fit in case very well w red dot on. Can I remove it to travel then re install rail and sight without messing up accuracy or poi ?
The scope would but imo the ring/base fit is where it would be the issue ,if the tolerance is tight you should be OK but if there's slop in there longer distance might be a issue ?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather get a larger case meant for it or one that allows it to fit then take the chance on an equipment failure at go time. This could be prevented in the beginning with a dash of planning.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't do it as regular practice just because I bought a case too small, but I have had pretty good luck using a UTG (CHEAP AND CRAPPY) rail riser under a Bushnell TRS-25 as a QD set up. I use a torque wrench to reinstall it (bought a T handle fixed torque model meant for servicing bicycles) so I get the same tension every time, and I put it in the same slot on the rail every time. Just be sure to hold it firmly forward against the front edge of the slot to be sure it is positioned the same each time.

I've even had pretty good luck with scopes coming back to the same zero, usually within a quarter MOA, when doing this. Pic rails are a lot easier to index consistently than some other QD mounts have been in history, so there's not much deviation which can happen.

Try it a few times at the range while you're there, no sense in theorizing or asking hypothetical questions - you own it, take it to the range, put it on, zero it, take it off, put it back on, try it, repeat a few times.

It's a red dot sight afterall, it's not a precision aiming device, you might not even notice a quarter or half MOA shift.