Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My first custom Encore barrel - 221 Fireball >

My first custom Encore barrel - 221 Fireball

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My first custom Encore barrel - 221 Fireball

Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default My first custom Encore barrel - 221 Fireball

It's been exactly four weeks since I placed an order with Match Grade Machine for a custom T/C Encore barrel, which arrived in the mail today.

Chambering: 221 Remington Fireball
Twist rate: 1-9" to comfortably stabilize 55 grain bullets
Length: 12"
Countour: Heavy factory taper

This barrel ends a personal trend for heavy kicking calibers/guns I've bought over the last few years in that it is chambered in a small, very low recoiling round and almost purely intended as a target/practice setup. I wanted something that costs less to reload, yet was still capable of shooting well over 200 yards accurately. After doing a bit of research, I determined the 221 Fireball was an excellent compromise. Unlike my other Encore chamberings, this one was designed to work efficiently in a pistol length barrel, use far less powder and cheaper bullets, and recoil even less than my 243 barrel.

I'm hoping to create several handloads using IMR 4227 and Hornady 55 grain SPs to test this weekend. Once I settle on a good load, I'm going to try to handload and shoot at least once a weekend for the next few months. I want to make this the year I become proficient to 200 yards with a handgun, and maybe even make a few decent shots at 300.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Groups or get out!! ;-)

(I'm assuming you're young enough to appreciate the reference).
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I got it.

It'll be this weekend before I shoot it and do some load development, but I'll definitely post a range report.