Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 OPINIONS ON THE REMINGTON 300 ULTRA MAG >

OPINIONS ON THE REMINGTON 300 ULTRA MAG

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

OPINIONS ON THE REMINGTON 300 ULTRA MAG

Old 10-29-2003, 02:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: OPINIONS ON THE REMINGTON 300 ULTRA MAG

One needs only to look at the performance of the old 45-70 and other sharps calibers to see that although speed kills so do slow as hell heavy bullets like 350-500 grain. Many a head of large and dangerous game animals have fell to the old black powder cast bullet firearms of years gone by. There are a long line of folks on in both camps here. To an extent, everyone is correct. In the end though.ITS ALL SHOT PLACEMENT. 22 hornet or 700 express. A good hunter who can place his shots well has taken every game animal on earth with the 7x57 mauser and the 303 british and 30-06. As for the original question, I have no use for any of the big magnums. If I ever do it would be the 300 WSM.in the Browning A-bolt with the Boss comp. I would load it with Winchester Fail Safes.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:13 AM

how is the kick on the 300 ultra mag compare with other calibers.? is it anything close to a 450marlin or a 250gr. 35 whelen?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly, I have a 300 Weatherby and a 45-70. Not quite what your looking for but close. The 300 kicks more than the 45-70 with hot hand loads. It' s not so much more that you couldn' t handle it. If you can shoot the 450 Marlin with no trouble, the 300 RUM should be managable. Gun weight is the key here, too.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quilly, I owed a 300 wby and have shot several 300RUM, while the RUM might have a bit more punch, it is very close to the same recoil IMO. It is stiff but tolerable, for me it is not a tshirt gun or an option as I have a bummed shooting shoulder and had to sell my 300 wby b/c I was developing a flinch when at the range. So the inability to practice for me equals lower confidence and a poor choice. I would suggest shooting one if you can before buying, but like Scott said if you can handle a 450 you' ll be fine with RUM.

Personally I think if you have long shot opps and chase big game it is a good choice. The other must is handloading, buying factory ammo doesn' t really harness the benefits of the RUM like SJ pointed out. If deer is your mainstay then it is way to much and not nessecary IMHO. You must expect/be able to handle the boot a large gun will give you and if not don' t toy with the idea of going big!
Old 10-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know about the RUM, but if I didn' t handload, my Weatherby would be out of the question due to price. 300 Wby premium loads are over $50 a box!!!

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have two 300 ultramags and have owned a 300wby.Recoil felt very similar but the ultra mag pushed a 180 gr bullet 125fps to 150fps faster than the weatherby
Old 10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Not having a 300 RUM I cant say for sure on the recoil but with case capacity I would put it in between my 30-378 WBY Improved and the 300 WBY. Believe it or not between the 30 calibers that I have below the 4th one ( 308 Norma Mag) from the right has the most felt recoil of them. This is due to the guns weight and fit. The 30-378 WBY IMP(far left) and the 300 WBY (2nd from left) are real ***** cats when it come to recoil in my rifles.

doubleA

Old 10-30-2003, 09:44 AM
bigcountry

James
Like I said, " he definately has something to sale" himself. One thing he has learned in 94 years is " niche" selling. And he sounds very good at it. Like the rest of them, Jack O' connor, Elmer, Ackley, Forbes they all had a niche. And I refuse to be a sheep and follow them like a zombie. I will listen too them, but I will go out and make up my own mind. Some points they all had are valid, but in the end, all that matters is a dead animal on the ground. And I have not had a problem with that, so again, why do I need thier advise again????????

I love to shoot. I love working up the loads. I love seeing what one does to another. I have no problems with new offereings.

Always remember, your never too old to learn something.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like you told me once Big Country its like having a 454 under the hood...I would buy one just by hearing replies on this board because it sounds like it has excellent accuracy as well as adequate power for just about anything that walks this earth.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:54 AM
bigcountry

Ok, you guys are going think I flip my lid. But if I didn' t have so much time invested in the 300rUM, I would stick with the 300WSM. Why? I got mine shooting very very good at long ranges, But its very finicky to powder and COL.

Quick Reply: OPINIONS ON THE REMINGTON 300 ULTRA MAG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.