Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My scope is messed up... >

My scope is messed up...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My scope is messed up...

Old 10-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default My scope is messed up...

I have a 3-9x40 Simmons Prohunter rifle scope on my .243. Well, on 3x it is pretty good, you can see through it and everything but when I crank her up to 9x(or anything above 5x for that matter) you can' t see a darn thing. It' s all blurry and such. What could the problem with my scope? How do I fix it? Any suggestions appreciated..
Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My scope is messed up...

For one it is a Simmons,I don' t hold much faith in them after a Atec I owned.How far away are you looking,50 yds,100 yds 200 yds.
It sound s as if the powre ring has slipped in side,all you can do is mail it of to have them fix it,wich if it was me I would just go buy a new one.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Send your scope back to the address below.

Simmons Outdoor Corp.
Attn: Repair Dept.
201 Plantation Oak Dr.
Thomasville, GA 31792
Phone: 800-285-0689

When you get your scope back put it on a .22
If you are looking for a budget priced scope look to the Bushnell Banner for around $75. I put one on a Knight 50 cal and my money situation has improved. The only problem is the optics are so clear and bright and the adjustments track so well I can' t bring myself to put a more expensive scope on the gun. I have had the 50 cal for three years and have never had to adjust the scope since sighting in. If you want to spend a little more go up to a Bushnell Legend for around $150. I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

A friend of mine had exactly the same problem with a simmons scope.He sent it back and they supposedly repaired it but after 30 or so shots it went blurry again.Since he could no longer trust simmons or the scope it went in the garbage.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you need to adjust the focus on your scope . I have no idea of your experience but I have seen a lot of people that didn' t know how to adjust thier scopes and what you described sounds like that might be your problem . I could be wrong but its worth trying . I have a half dozen Simmons scopes and have never had a problem with one yet .
Old 10-23-2003, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Before you send it in have you tried adjusting the eye piece? If not give it a try. Most of the time when it is adjusted to focus on a low power its adjusted also to a high power setting but I don' t know about a simmons.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:32 AM

most scope manufacturers suggest you adjust the focus on the eyepiece to your eyes after mounting.it is important how far you are looking while you are adjusting the eyepiece.most shooters will look at a target at 50-100 yards to adjust the focus.however,they also recommend you set the scope to its highest power to sight in.sighting in at 100 yds are less sometimes will be a little fuzzy but will be clear at 50 on low power and maybe a little fuzzy at 100 then clear above 100 on highest power.it all depends on the quality of the scope,focus,your eyesight,amount of daylight, etc.i set my focus to my eyesight for 50 yards,turn to highest power and sight in at 50 for 3/4" high then shoot at 100 for 2" high.i am no expert but trial and error has been my mainstay for i have had the same problems myself.good shooting!