Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying a Safe... what lessons have you to share? >

Buying a Safe... what lessons have you to share?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a Safe... what lessons have you to share?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

My advice is if you plan on buying more guns make sure you buy a safe big enough. I made the mistake of buying one that after several years was too small to hold all my firearms. Now it only holds my more expensive firearms and I have a cheaper one that holds all my others.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

The best advice here given so far is buy a bigger safe than you need or think you will need. As far as an electric or manual lock, I have had my safe for 14 years and have a battery operated push button combination lock and I have never had one problem with it and I don't have to stand there and spin a combo lock left and right several times, I can get in very quickly.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Cannon 36 gun safe with electronic locks I got on sale from Tractor Supply for $600. It weighs 500-600 pounds and I doubt many would be able to move it without an army of grunts considering where it is and how hard it was to get it there. One can spend much more for a liberty but IMO the main reason I have it is to store and protect my gun investments. No matter what you spend there could always be a better safe. Mine is far better than storing the guns in the closet. The Cannon is fire rated and has a power strip for things like the Golden Rod which keeps the climate steady inside the safe. In addition to the Rod, I have a rechargeable moisture remover. When the window says the medium is water soaked I take it out of the safe and charge it over night from an el outlet. I do this about every 2 to 3 months. The guns always stay nice in the safe.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-08-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I learned is just because the ad says the safe is a 36 gun for example, don't count on it holding that many guns. Depending on the configuration of the gun rests and what kind of guns you have, for example rifles with scopes, side X side shotguns etc. I store my guns barrel down in my safe and I cannot get as many as it is rated for inside, it is Browning Bridger. I didn't think I would fill it when I bought it, however, I did.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

not only is it good to have a heavy safe but also get one that bolts to the floor. knew of a guy that bought a heavy safe to keep his guns in. thieves couldnt get the guns out so they took the safe. he bolted the next one to the floor.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
not only is it good to have a heavy safe but also get one that bolts to the floor. knew of a guy that bought a heavy safe to keep his guns in. thieves couldnt get the guns out so they took the safe. he bolted the next one to the floor.
If they want it bolting it fast will not help, new standard way of stealing a gun safe is
wrap a long chain around the safe, throw the rest of the chain out a window hook it to a 4x4 and drive off outta sight with it, stop,unhook, load it on the truck and go
so unless its in a basement with no exit door, if they want it, they will get it
RR
Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys... got the liberty fatboy jr 48. It seems sufficient for what I wanted/needed. I opted for the manual lock. I appreciate the feedback from everybody. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure you use a dehumidifier.
-Jake
Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have the 18" golden rod, tried the gel packs you have to dry out every so often. Had to set reminders to do that. the golden rod you plug in and just check to make sure it is still working when you pull a gun from the safe. The check is that rush of warm air when you open the door.
these are places I have found with the best prices in no order.

***** http://www.westmarine.com/buy/golden...12_360_002_501

http://www.deansafe.com/golden-rod-3...ifier-rod.html

http://www.btibrands.com/product/dehumidifier-rod-18/

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1703.aspx

Al
Old 03-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Arjuna, out of curiosity, what were your selling points for choosing the JR Fatboy over the full size?

Good advice on a golden rod.

RR, I hadn't heard of that truck snatch thing but it makes sense. Locally, a couple clowns spent most of a weekend trying to break into a Fort Knox safe with crowbars, etc. without success and then they were arrested. The owner happens to be the local Fort Knox dealer so he has the safe on display in the showroom to help sell the safes. It was impressive. There have been a couple of smaller gun safes stolen but they were the smaller size and weight safes that 1 or 2 guys could easily carry. YMMV in your area but that's what I've seen after 25 years as a cop locally.

Although a truly determined and skilled thief could likely steal anything if he wanted to badly enough and had the time, I've noticed that each level of security tends to frustrate thieves with lesser skill sets. A safe means the smash and grab guys can't quickly grab a few of your guns when they hear you opening the front door, etc. A heavier safe means 1 or 2 guys can't easily carry your gun safe out. A safe bolted to the floor means a guy with a heavy duty hand truck and a buddy can't steal your safe. Not putting your safe in the garage with easy access to it by opening a garage door means thieves have to hunt for a safe in your house and have a much longer chain. I guess if you upgrade to a bank type vault weighing several tons that thieves would need a bulldozer or large skip loader to steal it.

I'm not trying to bag on RR as I think his point about a truck and chain is well taken. A gun safe probably shouldn't be in a garage or other part of the house where that chain could reasonably reach. Although no method is entirely foolproof, I think it's still a wise idea to invest in the level of security that you can afford and makes sense for you. And a golden rod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.