HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying a Safe... what lessons have you to share?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:12 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Arjuna, out of curiosity, what were your selling points for choosing the JR Fatboy over the full size?

Good advice on a golden rod.

RR, I hadn't heard of that truck snatch thing but it makes sense. Locally, a couple clowns spent most of a weekend trying to break into a Fort Knox safe with crowbars, etc. without success and then they were arrested. The owner happens to be the local Fort Knox dealer so he has the safe on display in the showroom to help sell the safes. It was impressive. There have been a couple of smaller gun safes stolen but they were the smaller size and weight safes that 1 or 2 guys could easily carry. YMMV in your area but that's what I've seen after 25 years as a cop locally.

Although a truly determined and skilled thief could likely steal anything if he wanted to badly enough and had the time, I've noticed that each level of security tends to frustrate thieves with lesser skill sets. A safe means the smash and grab guys can't quickly grab a few of your guns when they hear you opening the front door, etc. A heavier safe means 1 or 2 guys can't easily carry your gun safe out. A safe bolted to the floor means a guy with a heavy duty hand truck and a buddy can't steal your safe. Not putting your safe in the garage with easy access to it by opening a garage door means thieves have to hunt for a safe in your house and have a much longer chain. I guess if you upgrade to a bank type vault weighing several tons that thieves would need a bulldozer or large skip loader to steal it.

I'm not trying to bag on RR as I think his point about a truck and chain is well taken. A gun safe probably shouldn't be in a garage or other part of the house where that chain could reasonably reach. Although no method is entirely foolproof, I think it's still a wise idea to invest in the level of security that you can afford and makes sense for you. And a golden rod.