Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry Gun? >

Concealed Carry Gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Gun?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to think I wanted a Kel Tec until our undercover officers were issued them years ago. Them had to qualify with them 3 times a year and in two years they essentially shot themselves to pieces. That was about 12 years ago or so. I am pretty sure they were .380s.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
If it's close to a Glock, I'm golden. Pretty much all of my training with pistols has been geared towards gun fighting, whether it's for duty (mostly) or off-duty (CCW). I know what works for me, managed to prove it in one gunfight and just won't relent from that standard. From what you guys have posted, I think this Kahr pistol bears further checking and consideration.
Ive heard lots of good things about them.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Pretty rare weapon, not much fun to shoot at all really but its not for fun. It was discontinued because limp wristing was regularly mistaken for malfunctions.

9+1 capacity 40 S&W in a very small package
Too often the KelTec P11 was overlooked because of it's low price. I got mine when they first came out so it is 9mm and yes they don't appreciate limp wristing but with it's light weight one shouldn't limp wristing these. LOL. Mine has alot of time on it and alot of rounds thru it. It will digest any ammo. I have had the belt clip since new and really liked the ease to carry, lightweight and very flat. Although I use a Sig 320 these days I still use the P11 occasionally.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I used to think I wanted a Kel Tec until our undercover officers were issued them years ago. Them had to qualify with them 3 times a year and in two years they essentially shot themselves to pieces. That was about 12 years ago or so. I am pretty sure they were .380s.
I think you are remembering the old Grendel P10 or P12. Those were .380s. The P10s magazine was fed from atop or with a stripper then the P12 came along with a magazine. Supposedly in 1995 Kel Tec fed the design of the Grendel P12 into a computer and telling the computer to make it slightly larger and 9mm resulting in the P11. Don't know if that is true of not. But the guy who started KelTec was the guy who ran Grendel.

Another KelTec that I think is overlooked is their PMR30. .22 mag, 30 round magazine. With a spare you're good for 60 rounds. .22 mag is no laughing matter and in a gunfight it's doubtful you would be the guy running out of ammo of being the first guy needing to reload!

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/07/grend...eltec-kel-tec/
Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have to tell you Uncle Matt. I subscribe to the Wild Bill Hickok rules on gun fighting, that is, you can't miss fast enough to make up for poor shooting. I know everyone is enamored with 30 rd mags but I would rather have less rounds and be able to shoot straight. When you have a fully loaded gun and are carrying 60 extra rounds in two magazines on your duty belt that is a lot of weight, added to whatever else you are carrying. I can still remember when we were issued speed loaders for our S&W Mod 686 revolvers. We carried speed strips prior to that on our duty belt. When they were issued, one of the new guys piped up and said, these are great if you run out of ammunition your partner can throw you a speed loader, to which I promptly replied, if you have already wasted 18 rounds, I am not going to give you any of my ammo. You may well be correct, they may have improved the Kel Tecs since I have been around them.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-06-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I certainly would not carry one as my primary weapon if I was in law enforcement.

In my situation where I just have to stop them from getting me/my family its a fine weapon but I'd want better of I were task with actually pursuing criminals.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My main conceal carry gun and the one I have on me the majority of the time is a Glock 36 single stack .45 ACP. It carries very comfortable inside the waistband in front or in the small of the back. It's a pleasure to shoot and has always ate anything I fed it. It's also very accurate and the recoil is mild for a .45. The only other handgun I carry is a Glock 43 9mm when i'm working in the yard or garden and I carry in on my side.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. I hadn't ever looked at a G36. It looks like a great pistol.

I carry a G30SF for duty and as my main CCW gun currently. Almost the same dimensions and a few ounces heavier but then I get an extra 4 rounds in the magazine and it's a double stack mag.

I picked up a 43 (and a 42) and am test driving both. I can see times when one of those would provide increased concealment.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I considered the G36 as I like 45s but was concerned it would be too snappy. Ended up with the G26. Might have to check out he 36 again.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just saw the other day that Kimber has now came out with another new 10mm. May be adding a brother to the other 10mm Kimber that I have already!!!! That and Remington added a 10mm in their R1 version. I have the first R1 Enhanced in 45 when they came out. It shoots!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.