Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc >

gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun guys....no mercy, jeepkid etc

Old 01-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kirby has spoken he likes bartlein these days, says they last longer and machine better, and they'll match my current barrel, they are cut rifled but 9 isn't a real fast twist for a 7mm so will probably go with that.
RR
Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Kirby has spoken he likes bartlein these days, says they last longer and machine better, and they'll match my current barrel, they are cut rifled but 9 isn't a real fast twist for a 7mm so will probably go with that.
RR
Bartlein is about as good as they get. I haven't had one yet but I bought one for my buddy last year, he's a fan of them.

Why 32" over 30"? Will you gain much?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Bartlein is about as good as they get. I haven't had one yet but I bought one for my buddy last year, he's a fan of them.

Why 32" over 30"? Will you gain much?
may stick with 30 on the bartlein, Kirby says they are faster than lilja's, and have ran 160's 3712 fps from the lilja
RR
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check out Butchs Reloading, they may have a Bartlein in stock if you go 30"...
Old 01-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=super_hunt54;4238941]I've been following this thread and have a question. How is it that your cut rifled barrels are harder on your Berger bullets?QUOTE]

I'm interested too?

I've had a ton of success with Bartlein in the Benchrest game. I use the 5R rifling in 300WSM, 6BR and 6 Dasher. My close shooting friends are also using Bartlein but they use 4 grove. At the Ridgway VBR Championship match Bartlein took all the top spots.

It's hard to argue with what wins in the discipline you are going to shoot the most. Long range game seems to be focused around Bartlein, Broughton, and Krieger.

Rock Creek and Kreiger have a pretty good following in the Short range with a few Lilja's and Shillens.

It's all in what you want, $505 for a barrel seems to be a bit expensive. Pretty much buy any Bartlein for $325 and change
Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote=gunnermhr;4239499]
Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've been following this thread and have a question. How is it that your cut rifled barrels are harder on your Berger bullets?QUOTE]

I'm interested too?

I've had a ton of success with Bartlein in the Benchrest game. I use the 5R rifling in 300WSM, 6BR and 6 Dasher. My close shooting friends are also using Bartlein but they use 4 grove. At the Ridgway VBR Championship match Bartlein took all the top spots.

It's hard to argue with what wins in the discipline you are going to shoot the most. Long range game seems to be focused around Bartlein, Broughton, and Krieger.

Rock Creek and Kreiger have a pretty good following in the Short range with a few Lilja's and Shillens.

It's all in what you want, $505 for a barrel seems to be a bit expensive. Pretty much buy any Bartlein for $325 and change
I'm pretty sure the $505 is fluted like his current barrel.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this, I have a 30" kreiger 8 twist senduro contour on my 6.5 gibbs, If I shoot the orange box bergers this is what I get

that's the entrance, I kept reading great reports from folks on the orange box hunting bergers, but every deer I shot with them, just had a splash wound,I finaly talked with brian litz, after seeing my pictures he suggested I try the yellow box due to me having a fast twist cut rifled barrel was somehow compromising thinner jackets, when I use the yellow box match bullets, I get exactly the same results as most guys get with the orange box, no use debating it, it is what it is.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 01-14-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wasn't meant as a debate, was meant as the question asked. The only way I can figure you getting degradation of your jackets would be if your groves were too deep or your loads so hot that it is literally tearing your jackets up from "skipping". That in itself wouldn't have anything to do with cut rifling but with depth control.

Lemoyne over on Black Powder made a suggestion to me about twists for our .50 cals that sparked a memory. Have you ever tried a progressive twist? I tried a few on my bench queens and while I saw little addition to my speeds (around 20fps faster on average) one thing I DID notice was a little longer throat life. That suggests to me that you may find one of them easier on your Berger bullets. Just a thought. I do believe Bartlein does it. Maybe give them a ring and ask their opinions on the subject. I honestly can't remember where I ordered those barrels I had from. It's been 20 or so years and my poor old memory aint what it used to be.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

just FYI, a bartlein to replace the lilja on it now runs 520.00 for the blank
RR
Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
just FYI, a bartlein to replace the lilja on it now runs 520.00 for the blank
RR

That's about right for a quality fluted stainless barrel.

You won't be disappointed in any of the big names, just find one that doesn't have a long wait and you'll be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.