Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
454 Casull Rifle >

454 Casull Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

454 Casull Rifle

Old 12-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR, D80 just got a .450 Bushy so I imagine his dad has no interest in one. Probably old school like most of us old farts and likes old school bolts and levers. I'm an exception to that rule for the most part as I enjoy my AR's almost as much as my old levers. ALMOST being the operative word there

D80, if that is your budget, how about trying to hunt up a Pre Freedom Group takeover 1894 Marlin chambered in .44mag? They say the new ones are getting better but it's still somewhat of a crap shoot to get a new one worth a damn. But one from around 1990 or so was when they were on top of their game again and the 1894's were dang nice rifles. Around a year or 2 before the FG took over they were getting pretty ragged because of the older than dirt tooling so look for one that is around 2006 or before. Drilled and tapped receivers, side ejection so no problems with scoping. I had a .44mag 1894 for a good many years and took a pretty respectable amount of deer with that little rifle. Now the oldest boy has it and uses it quite well hog slaying. Damn kids get every nice gun of mine
Old 12-19-2015, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

True he is too old school to go with an AR. He likes mine, only because it shoots a .45 round well over 2000fps. He said it looked like I was going to war first time I broke it out! You know SuperHunt that 45-70 he was wanting was an older Marlin so I think a 1984 .44 mag could fit the bill. He is shy of Remlins since and he declined borrowing my 1894c to use a scope. Too bad Indiana deer hunters are sitting on older Marlins like gold right now.

My 18 year old step-daughter got her first deer, an 8 point buck, with a Marlin .44 mag this year. The kid grew up shooting a Marlin .357 and just started hunting this year. He borrowed it from her boyfriend, who is fixated on a .450. I wonder if I can hype him on getting the bushmaster upper and selling the Marlin to me. That would be a great backup plan if I finding a .454 rifle turns up dry, I never see them at any gun store.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) Go w/a Henry .44 magnum lever rifle. (.44 mag. Big Boy Steel). This model is blued instead of the fancy reflective brass or silver. Wt. is 7 lbs.
2) Go w/a Ruger 77/44 mag. bolt gun. Wt. is 5.2 lbs.
3) Thompson Center has a Katahdin .460 S&W magnum carbine.
4) Try to find an older 1894 Marlin off gunbroker.com or similar sight.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 12-19-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Have you given thought to a T/C encore? there is a barrel for sale on Flea Bay now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...sull+10+Barrel

Al
Old 12-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grab a Rossi M92 in 454C, D&T the barrel, drop on a scout scope with a bit of extra eye relief.

Might consider an open style red dot sight instead if you don't like scout scopes. Trijicon TMR or a Burris FastFire III.

I'd much prefer a Marlin 1894 44mag or 45colt, but if you're looking for a 45cal with a lot of extra power, the 454C Rossi is the option.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

The 92 Rossi is already drilled & tapped! (If we're talking new rifles, check with Rossi about what year they start D&T the 92s as I think it was within the last couple of years) The holes are under the rear sight, just tap it out & you'll see the mount holes. Rossi builds a weaver style bridge that bolts right on & obviously you'll have to use a scout style scope since its forward of the action.