Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7 mag for elk >

7 mag for elk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 mag for elk

Old 11-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Flags is spot on.

It don't make a tinkers darn what caliber it is if you can't make the shot. And if it's not a good shot angle it don't matter what the range is. Don't shoot animals around the edges trying to just throw one out there and make something happen.

Long shot or not if you can't hold a decent group 100 yards to a 1000 yards maybe you should look into bird hunting. Sorry for being rude but it's sad to see people not make shots most could do standing on their head.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't mean you need to shoot 1000 yards that came out wrong.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ANY time a critter is gut shot, you might as well prepare to track a LONG way, and should give it several times amount of time to start tracking after it over vital shots. If you push a gut shot critter, especially something as big as an mature bull elk, it might run for MILES! You MIGHT get extremely lucky and find it close but the norm is a LONG way. NO shoulder fired rifle light enough to hold up normally ain't going to be enough to knock it down with a gut shot! The answer is not more powerful rifle, but practice to be a better shot & discipline on when to fire or when to NOT fire! Also realistic practice like you're actually going to shoot like when hunting! No benchrests in the mountains!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 11-19-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: additions
Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

After about a page of getting kicked in the balls, I'm sure you've had your fill of those sentiments.

The answers are hidden in there:

1) Better bullets than the Core-loct exist
2) 7mm RM is plenty for elk
3) Placement, as always, is king
4) Don't let an outfitter bully you into a shot
Old 11-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

just practice, if you can afford to hunt you can afford ammo to practice, practice makes you a better marksman, being a better marksman instills confidence, being confidant in your ability makes any shot you take easier, take only the shots that after an evaluation you have a 90% or greater percentage of making. This is how I roll, I've taken 64 whitetails beyond 400 yards, 28 of which were beyond 600, a handful were past 1K, confidence goes along way.
I know most folks method is point and shoot, those shots are just as critical as the shots I take, they can just be made quicker, but the way to become efficient is practice.
RR
Old 11-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
After about a page of getting kicked in the balls, I'm sure you've had your fill of those sentiments.

The answers are hidden in there:

1) Better bullets than the Core-loct exist
2) 7mm RM is plenty for elk
3) Placement, as always, is king
4) Don't let an outfitter bully you into a shot
+1

LOL .................... Some of your best work NoMercy
Old 11-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
I couldn't agree more on the distance and practice issues. I may need to change outfitters as he is big on long range shooting and I am an old bow hunter that thinks 40 yds is a long shot. Actually I am very comfortable out to 400 off a SOLID rest but often times the elk pops up unexpectedly and nerves get the best of you.

Agreed... But I'd practic at those longer ranges and know what my rifle is doing before I did that again.. Obviously you have the money to buy a couple boxes of ammo and do some pre season shooting