Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First time buying my own hunting shotgun. >

First time buying my own hunting shotgun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time buying my own hunting shotgun.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default First time buying my own hunting shotgun.

Okay so i have hunted for years but have always used my dads weapons. Lastyear i experimented with the cross bow(hated it). Ive shot a bolt action 20 ga with choke and that gun helped me land my first gobbler at 22lbs when i was 16. Ive shot a 870 12 gauge but only twice. SO this is what im looking for your guys help on. Im a turkey hunter and whitetail hunter. Im debating between a mossberg 500 or rem 870...unless you guys have some other brands you can recommend. im open to options. i need something that i can use for both seasons. i know i will need a slug barrel and scope for deer this novemeber. I need something decent with choke system and maybe vented barrel? im sorry if i sound new to this. this would be the first firearm i am purchasing. i just enrolled in a fish and gun club so i have a range to get use to it once i buy it. i was VERY comfortable with my bolt action 20 gauge but i have never seen another like it in a long time in stores
Old 09-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Spike

If u want something a little cheaper a maverick 88 is pretty much a Mossberg 500 with synthetic stock I have one and it works great
Old 09-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

My choice would be the 870 but the 500 or Maverick mentioned by gavinlobland would also be good. And if you wanted one, i am sure you could still find a used bolt action shotgun in good shape either in a local gun shop or on gunbroker.com.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

You will hear Remington 870 & Mossberg 500; 100 times before this thread is through.

......................... and for good reason !
Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend that you try before you buy. You won't shoot any shotgun well that doesn't fit you. You should be able to shoulder the gun and have your eye lined up with the bead down the barrel. If you have to move your head around to get things lined up, you won't shoot well. Don't focus so much on brands or models and pay more attention to how a particular model "fits" you. You'll be more satisfied and less frustrated in the long run.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check the major manufacturers. You might be able to find a gun that comes with chokes for deer & turkey. Whatever make/model you decide on, a 26" barrel will perform well for all around use.

For example. Winchester has a SXP Buck & Bird 12ga, that comes with a fully rifled slug barrel and a regular smooth bore barrel w/ 3 choke tubes.

Whatever make/model you decide on, a 26" barrel will perform well for all around use.

Good luck, and good hunting!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remy or Mossy, the age old question. I have experience w/both in 12 guage pumps, so I'll share those thoughts.
The Mossberg 500 has decent pump action, is a little lighter than the Rem., comes w/the accu-choke tubes that can handle alternate shot, ported barrel available, comes w/a 24" slug barrel if you get the combo.
The 870 Remington- Love the matte finish, the action is a little smoother, the trigger pull is better, 22" slug barrel combo available.
The Mossberg combo can be cheaper price wise. Verdict-Flip the coin. Can't go wrong w/either. The Mossberg 20 combo is also worth a hard look.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 09-25-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple of other things I meant to say:
The Mossberg 500 has slightly less felt recoil-nice recoil pad.
If you end up using buckshot, the Mossy holds a good pattern.
The 870's I've shot have patterned a little better.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

All modern shotguns & choke tubes can shoot steel shot. The Mossberg is no better than the Rem 870 in that respect. Pattern is largely controlled by the choke or amount of constriction in the choke or choke tube.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Spike

its crazy cause too this day i still prefer that old timer bolt action 20 gauge...it was light....accurate from a good amount of distant and the recoil was amazing.maybe i could look into my local shops and see if they have ay bolt actions...is there really a difference between bolt action and pump when it comes to accuracy? i have always noticed a difference with rifles but shotguns...not too much experience..money is not a problem...but im also not looking to drop 3 grand lol...also is it worth it to put a grip on the gun...like a rod grip or pistol grip IF legal in my state. does it make a difference? i would perfer a lighter gun because i do have bad back so carrying something a little heavy would probably push me away...i meani know the walking and ridge climbing does not help lol but whatever i can do when it comes to walking and carrying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.