Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
First time buying my own hunting shotgun. >

First time buying my own hunting shotgun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time buying my own hunting shotgun.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

bolt vs. pump in a shotgun (using shot) theres really no difference in accuracy. That's pretty much all barrel and choke choice there. Where you will see an accuracy difference is in using a slug barrel. Bolt action sluggers such as the Savage 212 or the 220 (12 and 20 gauges) are highly accurate. Living here in Illinois has made me highly aware of what's being used and which are the better performers (Illinois is a shotgun only state) and those Savages are highly popular among the masses here. I myself prefer my TC Pro hunter setup. But I'm a single shot kinda guy when it comes to slug guns (I don't want to have to shoot them dang things more than once) but I USED to own a Mossburg 500 with a slugger barrel which was pretty accurate. Kept around an inch group at 100 with Lightfields and dropped deer on a regular basis. Pretty much all you could ask for out of a slugger I would imagine. You can get a combo for around 300-400 new and I'm sure there are several on sites such as Gunbroker and such.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well with money not being a problem, wanting a bolt action and hunting turkeys and deer I vote for two shot guns.

Remington 870 express Turkey any gauge you desire. 12-16-20

You can get it in camo too.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...rkey-camo.aspx

For the bolt action the Savage 220 is all you will need. it will satify your bolt action wants and not beat you to death with recoil.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/220F

Al
Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
All modern shotguns & choke tubes can shoot steel shot. The Mossberg is no better than the Rem 870 in that respect. Pattern is largely controlled by the choke or amount of constriction in the choke or choke tube.
I'm going to have to disagree w/ you here, sb. Choke diameter is very important, but there are so many other factors involved that just placing a tighter choke in a barrel does not guarantee better patterns.
Some of those factors-besides constriction- include: shot composition, size, barrel length/velocity, forcing cone taper, wad design and backboring. Not to mention temperature and altitude.

As to all modern shotguns being able to use steel, keep in mind I stated alternate shot, which also includes hard compounds like tungsten.(Between Rem. and Mossberg) Remington states on their site that Rem chokes should not shoot steel shot larger than #2 through full chokes and that goes for large Hevi shot, as well. Mossberg Accu chokes don't have this restriction. Advantage: Mossberg.
I like the 870. It's perhaps, overall, better than the 500 but either will give their owner long usage and great performance.

Anyone with interest in this can go to Remington's site and type into the search engine: Can I use my current Remington shotgun/choke with Hevi-Shot or Wingmaster HD loads.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 09-26-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Remington 870 hands down have 4 12ga. And a 20ga. Also have a mossberg 500 you diffantly can tell the riddance between them. The dual action bars keep the forearm from wobbling.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

What is the riddance? Always thought that was getting rid of something.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

If I were you, and if money really is no problem.... I would pick up either a mossberg 500 or remington 870 that is set up for turkey... Both of them sell turkey edition models, go that route, or just buy one and put a good choke on it and such.. Then I would buy a savage 220, which is a bolt action, rifled barrel, slug gun. If you want only one.... Then buy a remington or mossberg package deal.. You can find them where you buy both a rifled barrel, with cantilever scope mount, and you get your smoothbore barrel as well. Hope that helps.
-Jake
Old 09-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

You won't go wrong with either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. Extra screw-in chokes starting at about $20 each are available for each that will allow you to use that shotgun for anything from Skeet or grouse in thick cover to turkeys. I would recommend a vent rib barrel. Beside dissipating heat quickly, the rib also makes a good sight plane.

A rifled barrel, which is best for shooting slugs, is also available for each.

With most shotguns, the shooter's eye is the rear sight, so gun fit is most important.

My favorite shotguns are over/unders, but about 15 years ago I thought I needed a good "kick around" shotgun that I could use for any shotgun hunting in any weather conditions. I bought a 12 gauge Rem 870 Magnum Express with a 28" vent rib barrel that has a non-glare matte finish on all exterior metalwork and an all-weather black synthetic stock and fore-end. It came with a modified screw-in Rem choke and I also bought a skeet choke for it.

To make it fit right, I replaced the factory recoil pad with a 1" Kick Eez pad and a 1/4" spacer. To stop it from biting my cheekbone, I put a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock.

Even though I live in a state that only requires shotguns for deer hunting in a few special Weapons Restriction Areas, I decided that I needed a rifled barrel for my Rem 870. Cabelas had a 24" cantilevered, rifled barrel with a 3-9x Simmons scope that is made by Mossberg for the 870 Remington, so I bought one. Its not a long range tack driver like my .300 Weatherby, but at 100 yards, it works fine.

I have less than $500 in this gun, and I can use it in any kind of weather for any game from close upland birds to deer.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Spike

i was in walmart yesterday and saw a savage arms bolt action 12 gauge for 567.00. then i saw a mossberg xpress12 ga pump with the choke and vented rib barrel for 367.00. both with camo finish. I really liked the savage arms. This is going to be a really stupid question...never bought any of this stuff but do i have to buy a special barrel if the gun does not come with chokes. I knowhow chokes work but dont know when it comes to buying them and attaching them to barrels. i really want to just buy one gun that i can use on both turkey and whitetails. my dad keeps telling me...go with 870...but the one i have found does not come with chokes or vented barrel so dont know if i have to buy them by the singles. i guess i just want to buy something that comes with everything so i dont have to do any running around or ordering....
Old 09-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it's old it probably only has a "fixed" choke.

If it's new it has "screw-in" chokes.

You buy different "Screw-in" chokes for the species of animal / bird, and the distances you are hunting them at.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally the bolt action shotguns being made today are meant for shooting slugs with enhanced accuracy for deer, etc., and usually (but not all of them) have a rigidly attached fully rifled barrel. The pump would (in MY eyes) be a much better choice for all-round hunting with the interchangeable choke tubes. The bolt action is a lot slower to manipulate than the pump unless the person operating it has a lot of practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.