Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What are my options to improve this situation? >

What are my options to improve this situation?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What are my options to improve this situation?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default What are my options to improve this situation?

Can you tell by looking at the pic that this scope is too far back? I can safely shoot it but it just seems like it should be forward. The length of pull is 12 3/8 bc it is a youth gun. I have a new rem syn take off in full size coming in a week, do you think that by itself will solve the problem?

What are my options, most cost effective? I could abviously find a new set of rings and or bases but is there anything i can do with what i have that will make a meaningful difference?

Pics here and in the next post
Attached Thumbnails What are my options to improve this situation?-image.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a pic of the mount. No idea why the pic posts upside down, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails What are my options to improve this situation?-image.jpg  

Last edited by tealboy; 09-13-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man you have a TON of room to slide that scope forward. When you get your new stock in, drop the rifle in and then adjust that scope forward till your comfortable with it.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Man you have a TON of room to slide that scope forward. When you get your new stock in, drop the rifle in and then adjust that scope forward till your comfortable with it.
He does not have much room at all. The front ring is very close to the turret and that makes the scope about as far forward as possible. He has posted another picture in a different thread that clearly shows the current configuration. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/atta...outh-image.jpg

If the longer LOP on the new stock does not cure the problem it looks like it may be necessary to change the ring/base set, or the scope.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-13-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awww hell did I get crosseyed or what! I couldn't view that second pic for some reason or another and was going by the first pick which only showed the rear mount which shows a ton of room. Anyway, that new stock will give you about an inch and a half more distance from the scope so you MIGHT be okay. Flipping that front base wont give him anything. It's squared off and 90 degree.

This right here may be your best option if the new stock doesn't increase your eye relief enough http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...t-action-matte it's cheap and easy and you can get a nice set of rings for 30-60 bucks (Grand Slam Weavers are pretty good)

Now that base isn't anywhere near "top of the line" but in general they work pretty well and it will give you all the room you need to adjust your scope to perfection for you.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tealboy, rather than a bunch of trial and error I would wait until the new stock arrives, the butt stock will be longer and should move the rear of the scope further away from the shooters eye. If your daughter has a full field of view with the barreled action in the new stock leave it as is, if there is a problem take it to a gun smith, it isn't that expensive to have them look at it and give you options. Take it easy this is not an insurmountable or bank breaking situation.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think Leupold makes an offset base for the front. You can call them and ask. If not, you can go with a Leupold Picatinny type rail for the 700 and a set of Weaver style rings and you can mount your scope in just about any position you want.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extended rings can easily be installed and will cure your problem no problem.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Agree, will wait for the new stock. An inch or slightly more from the new stock will likely be perfect. On one of my posts someone said something about reversing the bases which i didn't understand, but the new stock may solve all problems.

I also ordered a timney spring for my a bolt stainless stalker. Always hated that 3.5 lb trigger, especially compared to my daughters 700 w a 2lb crisp trigger after i adjusted it
Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe the poster meant to switch front and back bases. But I believe the 700 hole pattern is different for the front and the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.