Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What are my options to improve this situation? >

What are my options to improve this situation?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What are my options to improve this situation?

Old 09-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

tealboy, I'd be careful with that trigger lightening. 2 pounds is a bit light for field situations. It's fantastic for bench rest shooting but in the field that is one light pull. Way too many accidental firings have happened from people lightening their triggers to that light. Several of my rifles have triggers that are right at 2.75 and many people think that is too light for them. Most hunters/shooters feel that 3 to 3.5 is a really good safe weight for trigger pull for in the field. Just a heads up.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
tealboy, I'd be careful with that trigger lightening. 2 pounds is a bit light for field situations. Most hunters/shooters feel that 3 to 3.5 is a really good safe weight for trigger pull for in the field. Just a heads up.
Interesting. Ive been hunting w my browning for 14 years and have always hated that trigger, just never bothered to fix it. Ive hunted w the 243 and the 2 lb trigger on a number of occasions, in addition to bench time and have always said, one of these days I'm going to fix that crappy browning trigger. Today was the day and i am looking forward to finally fixing this miserable trigger. I will thoroughly test the safety by slamming the bolt with an unloaded gun but as long as that proves reliable, i am completely comfortable with a 2 lb setting. The only time my safety comes off is when the cross hairs are on my target but i can appreciate the point.

Is there something i am missing from a safety standpoint? I wrote the above and woke up this morning wondering if i am missing the
Is there something i am missing from a safety standpoint?

Last edited by tealboy; 09-14-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Not missing a thing. 2 pound trigger is as safe as a 5 pound trigger as long as you keep your nose picker off the trigger and safety till ready to shoot.

Al
Old 09-14-2015, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

What type of scope is it?

You really have 3 options.

1. Once you have the new stock, maybe the scope will work ok as is.
2. Get an extended ring so you have the room to slide the scope forward.
3. Get a different scope.

Re: trigger...certainly you can have it adjusted / lightened, but 2lbs "may" be too light. I think most folks prefer around 2.5. The problem when you go too light...some rifles can fire if you slam the bolt (ie: cycle it fast and hard). Certainly don't want that to happen.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
2 pound trigger is as safe as a 5 pound trigger as long as you keep your nose picker off the trigger and safety till ready to shoot.

Al
That's not 100% true. Certain rifle designs do require more sear pressure to ensure secure retention than others. I have a 6oz and 8oz trigger in two rifles that if I run the bolt hard, they WILL slip. That's a far cry from 2lbs, but the fact is true - some designs need a certain sear pressure to remain secure/safe, regardless of where your trigger finger might find itself.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tealboy my own personal A-Bolt triggers range from 1.5# to 2#, and I used factory parts to do them. It's pretty easy to get a reliable 2# trigger on A-Bolts.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tealboy
Here is a pic of the mount. No idea why the pic posts upside down, sorry.
To move that scope any further forward you will need a front extention ring. But you have a Leupold base - Leupold does not make extention rings.

So...To move it more forward you will need to change the bases to another type that will allow you to use a front extention ring.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I don't think Leupold makes an offset base for the front. You can call them and ask. If not, you can go with a Leupold Picatinny type rail for the 700 and a set of Weaver style rings and you can mount your scope in just about any position you want.
the rail is probably the best overall solution as you will have many more mounting options.