Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Big Kid Legos - No Escape!!! >

Big Kid Legos - No Escape!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Kid Legos - No Escape!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Kid Legos - No Escape!!!

Sitting at the airport this morning, bored....

I'll do proper range reports on these later (slow as I am to get pics uploaded), but I thought I might share some of my "projects" from this late winter/spring so far.

All of these are Black Hole Weaponry barrels.

Been taking advantage of all of the AR-15 over-inventory sales this winter/spring. Put a couple together for some buddies, plus a matched pair of uppers (with one more coming) for myself.

Hopefully get some open range shooting done with them this weekend to post range results, only been to the indoor with them to 100yrds.

Top (for a buddy):
22" BHW Nat'l Match Rifle length 5.56/223rem 1:8"
JP Adjustable
12" Lancer Carbon Fiber
Bushmaster Upper & Lower
Bushy BCG
Bushy Mil-spec trigger with JP Yellows
DPMS A2 Stock
MFT Engage grip
To be installed: Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40mm BDC in a Nikon M-223 1pc

Middle (for another buddy):
18" BHW standard RTS Mid-Length 5.56/223rem 1:8"
JP Adjustable
Nordic 9"
Aero Upper & Lower
RRA BCG
RRA Nat'l Match 2 stage with JP Yellows
Magpul CTR
Magpul MOE-K2
Bushnell AR 3-9x40mm in Nikon P-223 2pc (stupid eyebox is too big, had to mount rear ring backwards)

Upper (mine):
18" BHW Nat'l Match Mid-Length 6.8 SPC II 1:11"
JP Low-Profile Adjustable
15" Troy Alpha
Bushmaster Upper
Bushmaster BCG w/ DPMS Bolt
Bushnell AR 3-9x40mm in Nikon M-223 1pc

Bottom (also mine):
22" BHW Nat'l Match Rifle Length 204Ruger 1:10"
JP Low-Profile Adjustable
15" Troy Alpha
Bushmaster Upper
Spikes Tactical Lower
Bushmaster BCG
RRA 2 Stage Varmint with JP Yellows
Magpul ACS
Ergo "Delux" overmolded
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm in Burris PEPR QD

I have most of the parts for a 3rd upper for mine, didn't feel right to not have a 5.56/223 in the set, but the barrel still isn't here yet. My wife also decided that she "needs" a new AR, so we're waiting on her barrel also. Both will be 20" rifle length Black Hole Weaponry barrels with 1:8" 3 poly rifling.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looking good!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like Big Kid's legos too !!!
Old 05-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want that 6.8 upper! Granted I already have one but I'm a greedy guy and your's looks nicer! BTW, how do you like those Black Hole barrels? I have a Shilen 18 mid .725 on my 6.8 but it's had a ton of rounds through it and it's starting to get a little throaty. Rather than get a cut and ream I may just rebarrel it. It's by no means shooting badly yet but I'm starting to have to set my COL out a little further to retain pinpoint accuracy. I don't care about pretty fluting and all that jazz. Just high quality barrels to slay hogs!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice!
Roughly how much can you put one together for these days (less scope)?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Nice!
Roughly how much can you put one together for these days (less scope)?
Like any custom item, end cost is supremely variable. It's pretty easy to put together a cheap mil-spec carbine for $500-600, even less if you chase the sales, or start with blem parts. For what I'd call a "hunting rifle," meaning match grade barrels and triggers, adjustable gas blocks, reasonable furniture and forged receivers, a guy should be able to get out of a hunting AR for $900-1200.

It doesn't save a LOT of money over buying a factory model that's "better than average," like the Bushmaster Varminter, RRA Predator Pursuit, etc, but you can pick up exactly the parts you want, with a few minor upgrades, for about the same price.

Before optics and magazines - the Top rifle has $1099 in it, the middle rifle $1,011. I spent a bit more on mine. My three uppers: 6.8 = $913, 204R = $781, 5.56 = $837. My lower was $450 on the nose. All including shipping.

If you go all out, then the sky is the limit. My wife's rifle isn't going too crazy, but she's not sparing any expense on parts that she wants. She'll have $711 in her lower alone (Geiselle NM 2 stage and UBR stock), plus another $1,087 into her upper. Her barrel - a partially fluted, cerakoted, upgrade profile BHW - cost nearly twice as much as my 5.56 barrel that's the same profile and length.

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
BTW, how do you like those Black Hole barrels?
I used to be a Shilen only guy, but an acquaintance that I respect a lot in the AR world has a few BHW's that have shot incredibly well, so I gave them a try on his advice. They're also a touch more affordable than the Shilens too, and since these are hunting rifles and not Glass Gas Gun rifles or CMP rifles, I took the opportunity to save a little (caught a great deal during SHOT show too).

The 3P (tri-lobal polygonal) BHW rifling is supposed to run notably faster than standard rifling as well, which seems to be true so far. That 18" mid-length in the middle gets the same MV as one of my 20" barrels with the same load (in all fairness, the 18" is an adjustable gas block, the 20" is not).

Since you mentioned fancy fluting and stuff, even though my own barrels don't show any of it, Black Hole Weaponry offers a LOT of different fluting options, plus multiple finish options, and a large number of cerakote options on top of that. Your barrel can be as wild or as mundane as you want. They also offer "standard profile" barrels in different lengths that are coated black and ready to go any time - that 18" black in the middle is an "RTS" barrel, aka Ready To Ship. The top rifle is actually cerakoted grey, rather than the machine finished stainless of my two.

BHW has been a lot of fun to work with too, I've spoken with them several times on the phone through this batch of orders, and they've been very helpful and accommodating. It's a relatively small shop, but they've really done well to earn their reputation and carve out their part of the market in recent years.