Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion. >

found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion.

First I plan on hunting deer and elk. That said I found a rifle and scope combo its a 16.5inch Remington 700 .308 very nice well taken care of. The scope that's mounted with it is a vism 6x24x50mm. The place is asking 850. And wont consider selling just one or the other which sucks. But does anyone think this is a good buy (first hunting rifle, have other just nothing specifically for hunting). Or should I keep looking and pair another rifle and scope myself.

As far as distance goes I wont be taking any shots beyond 300yds, until. I can get back to the range more frequently to get more practice in.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

WHEW at that price I would just buy a new rifle and scope.
Here are two used ones in my area.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y

Williams will sell you a rifle and ship it to your FFL holder. I have bought rifles, shot guns, pistols and muzzle loaders from them and found them to be help full and easy to deal with.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-09-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Typical Buck

Don't know anything about Vism scopes but do know that high magnification and cheap price don't equal anything I want on my rifles. Also, 16.5" barrel is short, that coupled with that big scope isn't something I'd want. Much better deals to be had IMO.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The price is high for a used rifle. It seems to me you have a short-range rifle with a long-range scope. Not a good balance. A 16.5" barrel would be great in a treestand, but for longer shooting, a longer barrel would help steady the gun and get you a little more velocity. A scope like that would be great on a bench rest rifle, but for many close range hunting applications, I think you would be over-scoped.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Concur. That scope is of little value (especially in that configuration). Who the he** needs 24x? As stated, the BBL is rather short... may not effect accuracy but sure will effect velocity. There are MANY great new guns available to choose from.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

My personal opinion--no and what everybody else said. In your previous topic, you asked about barrel lengths for a hunting rifle and were told 20-22"+ for a variety of sound reasons. Basically, hunting applications are different than military applications, etc.

Since you're still looking at short barrel rifles (under 20"), it looks like you've already decided to go this route and are simply looking for somebody to agree with you. This is probably one of those lessons you will need to learn for yourself (we all do that on occasion ).
Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad to see that everyone concurs that the rifle/scope combination along with the high price for used equipment that doesn't match should make it an automatic pass. The short barrel is more of what a lot of people would call a brush gun with a scope designed for long range applications. I'd like to know who came up with that combo, but I'd certainly keep on looking for something a lot better that that combo, as well as price.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta agree with the rest. Without handling that particular gun, IMO, it's not gonna be balanced. With a short barrel you gonna want a compact scope in 2-7 power range. I wouldn't by it but if that's what you think you'll like youre the one paying for it and the one shooting it. Its gonna be L O U D!!!!!!!! and have some muzzle blast too.

What 700 is it? SS, composite stock, wood stock, blued?? Did know they made them with a 16 1/2" barrel.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have ringing in the ears, you couldn't pay me to shoot a 16 1/2 inch barrel without ear plugs...In fact, I went with a 24 inch barrel on my .243 when I rebarreled it...
Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The NcStar/vism scope sells new for about $189, so used is should sell for about $75 - $100. This is far from a practical hunting scope.

A new Remington SPS sells for about $550, so used it should sell for about $400. However if someone has cut the barrel down it would be worth considerably less. You might get $250- $300 for the 700 action if someone wants to rebarrel it as a project.

Add rings and bases for the scope - just guessing at $30 - and you end up with a package that might have a top price of somewhere around $500. However since the combination makes little sense I would hazard a guess at a value of $350.

Most hunters would pass on this and look elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.