Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion. >

found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

found a rifle, need a second, third or twentyfourth opinion.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Seems to me even the Remington Model 7 has a 20 inch barrel and it is a nice rifle in 7mm08 in a thick Up cedar swamp and a 4x4 deer blind. wouldn't put more that a 9 power scope on it either and even 9 power is stretching it if it won't go below 3 power.

Al
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree too much $ and that scope is worthless imo for what you need.

Regarding the short barrel, that doesn't scare me at all if your typical hunting range is less than 200yds. My son has a Ruger compact .243 with a super short barrel (I think 16.5") and that little gun is a great hunting rifle for where we hunt where 95% of our shots are under 150yds, heck most under 100.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Spike

Thanks gentlemen. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Instincts were just telling me no. And yes I was told 20 to 22" and I'm sticking to that advice. I mostly just didn't want to pass up a decent deal if there was one. But even I thought it was pricey. And that scope look way funny on the rifle! It was a little rifle with this huge scope. So anyway I didn't get it. Mostly was looking cause it was right in front of me.
But I'm going to stick to the advice or been given and continue looking for something a little longer.

Thankfully the appeal of a new rifle didn't out weigh logic and reason.

Everyone's advice hasn't been lost on me and is being put to good use. Thanks gentlemen
Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite rifle is the Rem 700 Mountain rifle. Just about as good as it gets for an all around hunting rig, for me anyhow. Light, maneuverable, and mine is as accurate as any gun I've ever owned. I'm also a fan of the Model 7, but prefer the mountain over that. Good luck in your search.