Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
22 revolver cylinder >

22 revolver cylinder

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 revolver cylinder

Old 12-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default 22 revolver cylinder

does a cylinder have very much to do with how accurate a revolver is. the revolver is a new model single six 22lr ruger.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by toccopola
does a cylinder have very much to do with how accurate a revolver is. the revolver is a new model single six 22lr ruger.
Not unless it has a defect or a ton of shells through it. The Ruger single six is a great revolver and you'll love it. I have a stainless model with the 22LR and 22Mag cylinders and 6" barrel that is fun to shoot and pretty darn accurate.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The cylinder has a lot to do with the accuracy of a revolver - more than any other part of the revolver. The bullet starts its trip from the chamber in the cylinder, jumping from the cartridge case to the cylinder throat, then it has to pass through the throat across the B/C gap, forcefully align the cylinder to the barrel by ramming into the forcing cone, then it's finally free to run in the rifled bore. If anything bad happens through any one of those steps, then the bullet will not be able to recover in the rifling to repair its accuracy, the damage is already done. In other words, the cylinder determines the presentation of the bullet to the bore, if it's good, it's good, if it's not, then accuracy suffers. Just like any sealed breech firearm, the chamber to bore relationship is critical for a revolver.

So if a chamber isn't concentric to the barrel bore, or isn't coaxial, and if the lock-up isn't properly aligned, or if there's excessive headspace or excessive b/c gap, your accuracy will suffer. If the chamber throats aren't properly sized, your accuracy will suffer (Rugers are notorious for tight throats).

Without going into over-bearing detail of how deviations in any given specification would affect accuracy - the simple answer is that the cylinder machining quality and fitment is more important than the barrel itself.

What in particular is your ACTUAL question? Did you transplant a cylinder into a revolver? Do you have a "convertible" model that isn't shooting well with one cylinder? If your accuracy is suffering, what in particular is happening?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

NM448---Dang, I didn't think he was asking for a lengthy dissertation like that, but you sure mentioned a lot of things that I just used the word defect for. I should have just said to PM you
Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a Ruger single six with both cylinders. Very accurate hand gun with either cylinder in place.

Al
Old 12-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Spike

thanks for your reply, the ruger is a pre warning mod. bought used at a gun show and did not come with the 22mag cyl. The cyl. fits perfect with no play but the cyl. and barrel were very dirty when i got it. I cleaned it very good but i figured it has been shot a bunch. I only used one brand of ammo and shot it at a 15yard target i could only get about a 6 to 8 inch group from a bench. i'm not a very good pistol shot with a revolver so i might just need a lot more practice. I found a 22lr and a 22mag cyl. mint unfired for $75 each so i went ahead and bought them, i should get them next week.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

If a your gun is out of time, new cylinders won't fix the problem. The cylinder will have to be timed to the gun. A tight cylinder does not mean it is in time. I am saying if, because none of us know what the problem is. A good pistol smith can give the an answer to your problem. What distance were you shooting the gun at? Did you rest the barrel on wood or other hard surface?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If a your gun is out of time, new cylinders won't fix the problem. The cylinder will have to be timed to the gun. A tight cylinder does not mean it is in time. I am saying if, because none of us know what the problem is. A good pistol smith can give the an answer to your problem. What distance were you shooting the gun at? Did you rest the barrel on wood or other hard surface?
Very true, but I do have my doubts that his Ruger is out of time the way they build such quality stuff. I could be wrong though and a good smith could figure that out pretty quick like you mentioned. He said his groups were from 15 yards, but didn't say exactly how he was set up at the bench doing it. That may be too far to start out with until he gets things figured out and maybe he should think about moving up to half that distance. IMHO that's sort of like starting out at 100 yards with a new rifle scope, rather than at 25 yards to get it dialed in and then moving the yardage on out.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just brainstorming. That is why I asked if he rested the barrel on something hard, a mistake novices do.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Just brainstorming. That is why I asked if he rested the barrel on something hard, a mistake novices do.
Yep, I know that and why you made your post that way. If everything isn't done properly and as consistently as possible , whether it's a handgun, rifle, or archery equipment it may be only the shooter that is at fault and many times is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.