Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Youth Gun

Old 11-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main reason I got out of using shotguns for deer hunting is the cost of saboted slugs. Pistol ammo is more cost effective which means you get more practice at the range. Reloading offers a variety of options with ammo.

A magnum pistol round fired from a rifle is surprisingly effective in the 100 yard range. I have not seen any disadvantages to the terminal ballistics on whitetail deer compared to shotguns. On the other hand my Marlin or Ruger pistol caliber carbines do have advantages in trajectory compared to shotguns.

Indiana is most likely going to expand legal calibers choices next year so I would wait till you purchase a firearm. A .410 or .44 mag is going to be inferior to a .243 if made legal. If you have to buy now get a Handi rifle in .44 mag they are economical.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

A 44 mag out of a rifle has low recoil.An inline with a lighter load would also be a good choice.Get him used to it with around 50gr of powder and load it slightly up when it comes time to hunt.A 410 is a disaster waiting to happen unless the shot is point blank.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Are you trying to get him ready for this year or not? If not I would wait until next spring and make your decisions. As you already eluded to Indiana is considering switching next year. The DNR is supporting the bill so I assume it will pass. Maybe you already have the .44 but I know a lot of people who went out and bought the .44 and .357 rifles a couple years ago and now they will be buying another rifle if they are allowed next year.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Are you trying to get him ready for this year or not? If not I would wait until next spring and make your decisions. As you already eluded to Indiana is considering switching next year. The DNR is supporting the bill so I assume it will pass. Maybe you already have the .44 but I know a lot of people who went out and bought the .44 and .357 rifles a couple years ago and now they will be buying another rifle if they are allowed next year.
Im going to wait a year. My real goal is to have him in the spring turkey woods with a youth model 20 ga. that I have! We will see
Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by grinder67
Im going to wait a year. My real goal is to have him in the spring turkey woods with a youth model 20 ga. that I have! We will see
I think that's best also....................

Start him "just shooting" regularly, that will help tremendously !