Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
20g slug deer gun for young girl? >

20g slug deer gun for young girl?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

20g slug deer gun for young girl?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb 20g slug deer gun for young girl?

My 12 year old daughter needs a deer gun, and here we must use shotguns with slugs, minimum 20 gauge. I currently like the Remmy 870, but am considering the semi-auto 1187 for added recoil reduction.

NOTE: I plan to use sabot slugs in a rifled barrel. I've been very happy with the accuracy of my 12g in that config, and she needs a scope or dot to help her deal with her cross-eye dominance.

Other suggestions? Pros/Cons of my current favorites?

Last edited by Bulzeye; 08-21-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt you will need a semi auto to reduce recoil but if that is the direction you go, buy a gas operated one because the recoil operated will bot cycle for someone who is recoil shy and doesn't pull the shoulder stock tight against the shoulder. You can buy reduced recoil slugs and they work well and are plenty to kill a deer. I have shot 12 ga reduced recoil slugs in law enforcement training and they make a big difference in recoil.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please note added info in original post about using sabot ammo in a rifled barrel. Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

The savage 220f......the gun has very little recoil and is a tac driver.. I do believe they make a youth model.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Overall the best dedicated slug out there is the Savage 220f, behind that is the H&R, I have both. I see you mentioned the Remington 870 and 1187, both well proven shotguns I do have the 1187 in both 12ga and 20ga., they shoot very well. If you considering the 870, don't discredit the Mossberg 500 combo, on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods this week for $309. You get two barrels, one is a field barrel with a few chokes the other is a rifled/cantilever barrel that has a useless scope, just upgrade it. I love the 20ga, I hardly use the 12ga. When speaking ammo for the 20ga. I like 3" sabot slugs, the 12ga I like the 2-3/4". Here is a picture of both of my Remington 1187, both are for sabot slugs only, both topped off with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 using 3" Remington Accutip, and both with a Monte Carlo stock
Attached Thumbnails 20g slug deer gun for young girl?-1187s.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you.

HOOKEYE, That is the kind of accuracy I've experienced with my 870 rifled/cantilevered with a 4x scope. It's just a large caliber rifle, and shoots as well. I don't see a reason to handicap my kid with less gun to save a couple bucks. Thank you for confirmation that this is typical and that my gun is not a fluke.

OLDTMR, Thank you for the suggestion of reduced recoil slugs. While I know that every caliber I've shot is softer recoiling in a semi-auto vs a pump or bolt, it does double the cost of the gun in this case and gives her a more complicated manual of arms and increased possibility of an inadvertent second shot if she mishandles the trigger during the excitement. Perhaps the reduced recoil slugs are the way to go. How do they shoot in a rifled barrel?

MUZZY, I always appreciate the suggestion of an accurate gun, but I failed to mention that this will be her only gun for a while, and it will need the ability to hunt birds and small game as well, so I'm sticking with a pump or semi. I apologize for not being clear, and I will consider the Savage if I should need to replace my own deer slugster.

BOWHUNTERCOP, Thank you for the combo/ammo suggestions. The Mossberg is on our list as a contender, and I really like their modular cheekpiece that can adjust the comb height, but it isn't available in a youth length stock. Regarding shopping at Dicks, not me. They dropped a major deal with an AR manufacturer right after the Sandy Hook school shooting, "on moral grounds", and are firmly on the Left politically. I won't help fill the coffers of the enemy.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have the Remington 870 slugger in 20ga. I had recommended I use 2 3/4 inch Buck hammer slugs rather than the 3 inch ones. I am very happy with how well it preformed. A friend got the combo so he has a smooth bore barrel for small game hunting.

If you don't like the trigger of a 870 or the 1187 trinity makes a kit for them also.

Al
Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bulezye, I have never shot them in a rifled barrel. Read the info in the link, there are several major ammo companies that make them in a saboted slug for rifled barrels.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks

ALLEYYOOPER: 2-3/4" is all I'm considering since I want minimum recoil for my little girl. She is only 11 and built thin, so that's the biggest concern. While I've never been unhappy with my Remmy triggers or the accuracy they afford me, I will check out the kit. Thanks.

OLDTYMER: I would be very happy to check the link, since that is exactly what I want, but I don't see it.