Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best all around optics setup >

Best all around optics setup

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best all around optics setup

Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to get a rem 700 in 3006 or a 308 ar for hunting down the road prob the 700 since I got the ar15 now. I loved the bdc scope on my triumph muzzleloader what do you guys think bout bdc scopes for rifles. If I buy a 223 bdc scope I wont be able to use it on the remington ofcourse thats another reason to buy a new scope then. So what would you do bdc or no
Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
What do you guys think bout bdc scopes for rifles... So what would you do bdc or no
I won't buy load-calibrated bdc scopes. My personal opinion is that this current fad is one of the worst occurrences in marksmanship history, as it makes shooters THINK that they're doing something to improve their accuracy, but are actually being falsely mislead. The unavoidable truth to BDC scopes is that they are only applicable for one ballistic coefficient at one velocity under one set of atmospheric conditions. Pick a different bullet weight, have the wrong barrel length (different velocity), or change your altitude and your calibrations for drop are all out the window. So a "223" scope might be relevant for a 55grn pill, but not a 45grn varmint bullet or a 75grn long range killer, OR it might be relevant for a 20" barrel, but not for a 16". Or consider that shooting coyotes in KS at 1220ft elevation in the fall at 80degrees and high humidity has a VERY different trajectory than the SAME LOAD calling coyotes in the foothills outside of Colorado springs in the winter when it's 20degrees out at noon... Even if I correct my zero, the trajectory calibrations in the reticle aren't the same ranges as they were at home.

For someone that seems to move around a lot like yourself, a BDC reticle would be even less advisable, in my opinion.

That said, non-load-calibrated BDC reticles like Mil-Dot or MOAR reticles are fantastic investments. The marks will correlate to different ranges just as much as a BDC reticle, won't have as much "junk" in your FOV, and will have more gradation to adapt windage and elevation hold over into the same solution. Make up a range card for different temps and altitude density and you'll be FAR better off with a Mil-Dot or MOAR type graduated reticle than you will with a BDC style reticle.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the BDC reticle I use, but I don't shoot out to 1,000 yards;

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPLEX.pdf

Burris includes a "card" for different calibers and different bullet weights (gives a close approximation for hold overs) - I tape the card on the inside cover of the corresponding ammo box.

I use their Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM BDC illuminated reticle scopes on all my rifles (always the same sight picture no matter what gun I have in my hands).

Ultimately, I still need to verify the point of impact (POI) using "that" gun with "that" bullet holding on each line below the cross hair.

One exception: I use a 6X-24X 44MM with a Mil-Dot reticle on my .204 varmint gun.

Bottom line - works for me !

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-27-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

NM48 laid it all out pretty well. I'm not a fan of BDC reticles, either - and for pretty much the same reasons.

I tried - and still have - a couple of Burris FFIIs with the "Ballistic Plex" reticle (one of them a "Ballistic Mil-Dot", but the values for each subtension were so far off that I punched my chrono'ed data through LoadBase 3.0 Mobile and printed a new chart for each. And because they're dependent upon the environmentals being identical to those in effect the day I chrono'ed the load, any changes bring shifts in impact. They're okay, but prairie dogs and coyotes (rifles are a .223 and a .22-250) don't tend to line themselves up on the ranges indicated on my updated reticle charts anyway, so there's always some hold over or under involved. So, I generally don't bother. At most of the ranges I'm shooting at, holding just below a coyote's back or a prairie dog's head is almost always going to put them down.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do agree u have to shoot the right load and bullet. When I bought my tv triumph I had been planning on a tc omega with the nikon omega bdc scope. It was setup with a 250 grain shockwave with 150 grains of 777 out the omega. When I decided on the triumph I decided no bdc. I called nikon about a diff scope. They told me the omega and the triumph used basically the same barrel and in test the triumph was dead on with the bdc marks. A local gunshop/baitshop owner said it would never be dead on at 250 a waste of money. I think he was pissef I didnt buy it from him. He wsnted 625 for the muzzy 425for the scope. I got it online from a shop in Michigan for 750 scope mounted to my door. That year I shot my first deer ranged at 254 yards with a dead on heart shot having never fired pass 150 yards. But I was slave to the 250 grain shockwave and 150 grains of powder which me and my muzzleloader loved but I want options with my rifle