Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Snubnosed Sixgun Cartridge Poll? >

Snubnosed Sixgun Cartridge Poll?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Snubnosed Sixgun Cartridge Poll?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

44 Special
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I have 6 of the Big Vaqueros in 44mag

4 I have had for a long time, 2 I just purchased to convert into 3.5-4" Birdshead model "kit guns". Very similar to this 357mag/45Colt New Vaquero project, but long enough to have an ejector. I figure the large frame ejectorless snubby doesn't make as much sense as the mid-frame New Vaq will.

I'm honestly surprised, I've posted this on a few sites of late, I'm coming back like 10 to 1 for the 45colt over the 357mag.
I guess it all boils down to what you want, what you "need", or what you are trying to accomplish. I think most people think of a 45 colt when they think of a SAA. I know I do, even though I have them in everything from a 22 lr to a 44 mag.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

After a lot of pondering and reading responses, I think my goal will be to find a 5144 Vaquero in 45LC/ACP convertible. These aren't easy to come by, but sure seems like it'd be slick if I can pull it together.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
After a lot of pondering and reading responses, I think my goal will be to find a 5144 Vaquero in 45LC/ACP convertible. These aren't easy to come by, but sure seems like it'd be slick if I can pull it together.
Have you considered a 41?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Have you considered a 41?
Yes and no. Wanting a fixed sight Vaquero for this, preferably in the new Vaquero's Mid-Frame which hasn't been made in the 41mag. I'm sure that the mid-frame Vaquero would handle the 41mag in stride, but it's just not available without a lot of custom work. So I could buy a 357mag and ream the chambers and have the barrel rebored (or buy a custom barrel), but the price would be high to get it done. Not that custom revolvers are ever cheap, but I'd be prone to favor a Tier 2 .45colt over the cost of drilling, reaming, and reboring.

But it would be pretty slick Maybe I can find a take-off 41 barrel...

Last edited by Nomercy448; 05-12-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep, in a new Vaquero, that would be a pain. And I would also be a bit puckered up in the new, small frame.