Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON. >

Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Spike

Lightbulb Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON.

Hunters and decent law-abiding American citizens should never refer to their guns as 'weapons'.

Weapons are for soldiers in war, law enforcement or thugs who murder the innocent.

An elderly gentleman who was an NRA hunter safety instructor once told me all about this.

Please take some of the public negativity out of the sport of hunting by NOT referring to the likes of your Remington 1100 self-loading shotgun as a WEAPON.

GUN, a popular term in children's story books, sounds more innocent, cuddly, warm and endearing than WEAPON.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It makes a difference? Is that why the liberals speak about "weapon control"?

Maybe we should call them "arms", since that's what the 2nd Amendment refers to?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Suddenly the "tool" that I "harvest" game with becomes a "weapon" that I "kill" with when some thug kicks in my front door.

Word games.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Spike

Wink

Originally Posted by homers brother
It makes a difference? Is that why the liberals speak about "weapon control"?

Maybe we should call them "arms", since that's what the 2nd Amendment refers to?

Thugs use knives to kill people too but the lefty-pinkos don't call for 'knife control' either.

My hunting knife is still called a KNIFE or TOOL by me. Binoculars and decoys and dogs are another hunting TOOL.

Son-of-an-ARM, I need to go check my morning coffee!

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-14-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Spike

Wink

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Suddenly the "tool" that I "harvest" game with becomes a "weapon" that I "kill" with when some thug kicks in my front door.

Word games.
If some bad guy comes in my home, I still have a formidable TOOL for self-preservation, my GUN.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Word games.
It doesn't matter what we call it, the antis will try to ban it.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I've always referred to the different firearms I've had or shot as guns or rifles, pistols, shotguns, etc. In the Marines, we called M-16's rifles, not weapons or assault rifles. We also referred to pistols as a pistol or even a .45 (yes, we had real pistols back then ) and shotguns were shotguns. In police work, we also called them pistols, shotguns and rifles. You wouldn't write a police report and just refer to an object as a "weapon" without describing it in more detail such as a pistol, knife, rock, scissors, bat, etc.

Putting all this semantics aside, I agree wholeheartedly with homers brother and bullcamp. Regardless of what you call them, the antis will still try to ban them cause that's what they do, like a rattlesnake trying to bite you. And all of us that own guns will use them as we need to because....

that's what we do.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

My guns are man toys. My arms are my weapons. Right arm is named Devastation and the left arm is named Destruction.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I've always referred to the different firearms I've had or shot as guns or rifles, pistols, shotguns, etc. In the Marines, we called M-16's rifles, not weapons or assault rifles. We also referred to pistols as a pistol or even a .45 (yes, we had real pistols back then ) and shotguns were shotguns. In police work, we also called them pistols, shotguns and rifles. You wouldn't write a police report and just refer to an object as a "weapon" without describing it in more detail such as a pistol, knife, rock, scissors, bat, etc.

Putting all this semantics aside, I agree wholeheartedly with homers brother and bullcamp. Regardless of what you call them, the antis will still try to ban them cause that's what they do, like a rattlesnake trying to bite you. And all of us that own guns will use them as we need to because....

that's what we do.
I'm in the same boat. A pistol was a semi auto handgun; Revolver, is a revolver handgun; Rifle is a rifle and a shotgun is a shotgun. Never referred to any as a weapon. If I was being attacked and had to use any to defend myself, then I guess it would be a weapon.

AS you stated, semantics is just B.S.. Doesn't matter what you call anything, it will make no difference to the antis and the ignorant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.