Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON. >

Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remember, a GUN is a TOOL, not a WEAPON.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 View Post
My simple country lingo calls any handgun I'm carrying "my pistol".
When I'm big game hunting it's "my rifle" I'm carrying.
If I'm hunting birds I tote "my shotgun".
Yep. Same here. The only things I called weapons were my issued M-4 battle rifle and my issued 9mm. Then I called the M-4 the primary and the 9mm the secondary. Machine guns such as the M-2, the M-240, the MK-19 and the MK-44 were all crew served weapons since it took more than one person to keep them shooting.

However, as others have already noted, it doesn't matter what you call them because some brain dead dolt will want to outlaw them.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Yep. Same here. The only things I called weapons were my issued M-4 battle rifle and my issued 9mm. Then I called the M-4 the primary and the 9mm the secondary. Machine guns such as the M-2, the M-240, the MK-19 and the MK-44 were all crew served weapons since it took more than one person to keep them shooting.
Good Lord you Navy guys make things complicated.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

When I was in the Army, we called M-16s weapons (I think weapon may have become the preferred term in the wake of Full Metal Jacket: "This is my weapon, this is my gun . . ."); gun referred to machine guns (or a mortar crew, i.e., 2 Gun); and I don't remember what we called pistols.

More seriously, I think perception counts a little. Not for the antis, but for the people in the middle who haven't made up their minds, or those who are not anti gun or hunting per se but might support some restrictive laws they believe are reasonable.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Anti's will use what ever they want. If they wanted bats banned, they will call a bat an assault club. If they wanted pointed sticks banned, they will call them assault sticks.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

I believe the training in boot camp went something like this: This one's my rifle, this one's my gun......
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily View Post
Anti's will use what ever they want. If they wanted bats banned, they will call a bat an assault club. If they wanted pointed sticks banned, they will call them assault sticks.
If someone stabs a person to death with a screwdriver I guess it's now an "assault tool".

Or to take it to an even more absurd level...... a rapist murders his female victim by strangling her with her own lace stockings. Now we have.... Heaven help us..... assault lingerie.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heaven help us..... assault lingerie.
Yes, Heaven help us. LMAO.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Spike

My simple country lingo calls any handgun I'm carrying "my pistol".
When I'm big game hunting it's "my rifle" I'm carrying.
If I'm hunting birds I tote "my shotgun".

Back when I was a firearms instructor in law enforcement I used the word "weapon" a lot. Don't have much need for that word anymore.
In the military, I was compelled to call an M16 a 'weapon', whether I like it or not, but calling an M60 a "gun" was acceptable. Being a civilian now, I no longer have any use for playing that jazz. I was never fond of the military and I try to forget it as much as possible. I am a total civilian now and my semantics bare witness to that as well.

Once the listener or reader understands what kind of gun I am talking about in a conversation be it a rifle, revolver, self-loading handgun, machine gun, paint gun, air gun, BB gun, staple gun, shotgun or muzzleloader, the term GUN is used by me from then on.

It is a very simple word to say and type and I like the sound of this three-letter word like Johnny Carson was fond of the word HAT.

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-15-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

If someone stabs a person to death with a screwdriver I guess it's now an "assault tool".

Or to take it to an even more absurd level...... a rapist murders his female victim by strangling her with her own lace stockings. Now we have.... Heaven help us..... assault lingerie.
There might be a caveat to that one. Because liberals say a women only needs to urinate herself or vomit to stop a rape. So in their eyes, she deserved the death if she did not do the above, therefore exonerating the lingerie.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Suddenly the "tool" that I "harvest" game with becomes a "weapon" that I "kill" with when some thug kicks in my front door.

Word games.
ha ha i like it