Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
M70 Sporter vs Featherweight >

M70 Sporter vs Featherweight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M70 Sporter vs Featherweight

Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default M70 Sporter vs Featherweight

I think I will pick up a wood stocked .30-06. It is tough to find M70 rifles on the rack now, but some shops offer special order. This makes it difficult to compare the M70 Sporter and the M70 Featherweight. I have read the specs and am leaning toward the Sporter - but the Featherweight is slightly better looking to my eyes.

Anyone here have these models and wish to offer an opinion?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've handled them both. I like the featherweight better. Fits me better, seems to balance better and IMO looks better.
The sporter has a 24" barrel and a cheek piece, the FW a 22" barrel & no cheek piece plus the Schnabel foregrip.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

This rifle will travel as a companion to my M70 Safari Express which has a cheekpiece. I do like the looks of the featherweight with the handy 22" barrel and the Schnabel forearm, but Winchester lists the difference in weight at only 4 ounces. With only a 4 oz delta I don't quite get the name "featherweight". Am I reading something wrong?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also wondered about the Featherweights being not so lite. of course you could get a Super Grade. LOL.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
I also wondered about the Featherweights being not so lite. of course you could get a Super Grade. LOL.
The SG is really pretty sitting in a rifle rack, but I would hate to scratch one by actually hunting with it!

The SG is listed as a full pound heavier than the standard Sporter. I know there are a few differences in the stock but a full pound? I would like to put some of these models on a scale.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

After I find the right rifle then I will be faced with which scope. Naturally I am torn between either a refurbished Bushnell or a Swarovski Z6.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The "featherweight" aint exactly light. 4oz may not be far from the truth.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Spike

If possible I would handle both first. I've had a Featherweight Classic since they came out, maybe as I've aged (?) but I've come to like the more weight forward feel of the Sporter. I too own a Safari Express which I like a lot so maybe that effects my preference. The Sporter certainly feels more like the Safari Express just lighter.

Choices, choices!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cougarz
The Sporter certainly feels more like the Safari Express just lighter.
That is what I want. I usually carry two rifles in my Tuffpak if I am traveling very far, and it is nice to match them up to an extent.

Sometimes stainless & synthetic are good, but other times walnut & blued is more appropriate. A .30-06 and a .375 are natural companions.

For some reason the new M70 is scarce right now.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take the featherweight.
A more elegant looking production rifle I've yet to see.
Shoots good too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.