Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
M70 Sporter vs Featherweight >

M70 Sporter vs Featherweight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M70 Sporter vs Featherweight

Old 04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I'll take the featherweight.
A more elegant looking production rifle I've yet to see.
Shoots good too.
What load does your Featherweight favor?

What kind of aggregate sizes of 5 shot groups are you getting (perhaps the aggregate of a few consecutive groups)? Occasional great groups don't interest me much, but consistent groups are another matter. I really don't expect factory big game rifles to honestly agg MOA for 5 shot groups - but reasonably close would be nice.

This rifle will be shot mostly standing, using sticks. The weight of the longer barrel and the cheekpiece are the chief reasons I am currently leaning toward the Sporter. I get a little twitchy on sticks (everyone does).

Last edited by Big Uncle; 04-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Uncle,
My Featherweight (270) will always stay within 1.5 inches, often better if I am on my game at the bench. I have more accurate rifles but carrying that Mod 70 fills me with nostalgia and under field conditions it's more accurate than I am anyway.
It's favorite load is 54 grains of WW 760, 130 grain Grand Slam, CCI 250, RP cases. 3050 fps.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 04-03-2014 at 04:54 AM.