Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle Recoil >

Rifle Recoil

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Recoil

Old 10-03-2003, 02:22 AM

Default Rifle Recoil

Hi All,

A quick question. Why does my brother-in-law' s .270 win. in a Rem. ADL rifle kick harder than my .300 WSM in the Super Shadow and my 7 mm Rem Mag. in my Tikka Whitetail which has a walnut stock?

Good Shooting
Old 10-03-2003, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Recoil

This may sound like BS but there' s a physics formula for recoil and it' s based on Newtons law of action and reaction. However certain stock designs can convert that reaction to barrel lift and others can cause pure " reaction" . The difference between recoil and " felt" recoil can be fairly large.

I have a Remington 721 in .300 H&H that was a very pleasant gun to shoot until I restocked it.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless that .270 is at least 2 pounds lighter than both of those other two rifles, it DOES NOT kick more, but it might feel like it does, as explained by Vapodog. Stock design makes a big difference. My buddy has a .300 Rem Ultra Mag and a .300 Weatherby, and both are a lot more pleasant to shoot than a .308 Norma I once had on an ' 03 Springfield action with a custom Paul Jaeger stock that had a Niedner steel buttplate! Ouch!!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

There' s a great number of factors that come into play, too many variables to really pinpoint your problem, but the major players are the internal pressures (both in the bbl, and the action), the stock design, and the rifle weight. If you' ve got a straighter stock on the .270 than the others, it' ll translate more energy towards your shoulder, as opposed to a good monte carlo that translates some energy into rotation upwards on the rifle.

One other thing you might keep in mind about the .270win is that it' s louder than hell, which makes your perceived recoil much greater, try shooting with ear protection next time.

What your problem probably is: the stock, but that' s not a bad thing really, just add a butt pad and you' re in business, it' s not hard to tame the recoil of the worst stocked .270 with any good recoil pad.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the advice fella' s

Nomercy,
I am very protective of my hearing. I wear protection everytime I shoot as everyone should.

Your point about the stock was dead on. The stock design on the .270 is as straight as a board. My 7mm has a Monte Carlo Stock and the .300 WSM is synthetic.

I understand the theory of felt recoil versus actual recoil but I just don' t want to feel that much of it. I haven' t asked to shoot his .270 again.

Good Shooting.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Rem .270 ADL with a factory wood stock on it 10 years ago. After hunting with it for a couple of years the wood stock got a few small dings on it. Wanting to keep the stock in good shape I bought a factory Remington synthetic stock. To my suprise, the difference in felt recoil was absolutely amazing.