Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shotgun Question >

Shotgun Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Question

Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun Question

I'm about to buy a shotgun. It must be as versatile as possible, because I only get that one gun for now.

I've chosen the Remington 870 Express in 12 gauge. I've shot a couple Brownings, a Winchester, a couple Mossbergs, and several Remingtons, and the only gun that I would actually have other than the 870 is the Rem 1187. But I don't have the budget for that.

I can choose between a 3" chamber and 4-shot magazine, or a 3.5" chamber and 3 round magazine. I don't know which to choose, and that's where I need your help.

On the one hand, I never really expect to use 3.5" shells. Too much recoil, mainly. Also, I think having another round in the mag might be a good thing.

On the other hand, the 3.5" chamber doesn't change the pump pull, gives me the ability to shoot any 12 gauge ammo, and might possibly come in handy when hunting geese.

I'm going to hunt turkey, deer, hogs, and ducks/geese with this gun. Deer and hogs will be with a rifled barrel. Would I rather have the larger chamber (which I honestly doubt I'd use as much) and one fewer rounds, or would I rather have the cheaper, smaller chamber with an additional round, at the cost of possibly wishing I'd gotten the larger one?

In other words, how much difference will the 3.5" make versus the extra round?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a 3.5" gun so I might be wrong but wouldn't the 3.5 gun hold three 3.5 shells OR four 3" shells? or is the tube shorter on the 3.5 gun?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Spike

Oh, this is interesting. So by going with the 3.5" I wouldn't necessarily be losing a round when I use 2.75" and 3" shells, then?

I may have just chosen my shotgun.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Spike

Buy it.

It's reliable and versatile. No need to overthink this one, for a first shotgun.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Barefoot Friar
Oh, this is interesting. So by going with the 3.5" I wouldn't necessarily be losing a round when I use 2.75" and 3" shells, then?

I may have just chosen my shotgun.
That is what I think not what I know so double check but common since tells me a 3.5" gun will hold as many or more 2 3/4-3" shells as a 3" gun.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hookeye
Nope.

The 3.5 magnum and reg 3" magnum have the same mag tube length.

Per Remington's owner's manual............you can put three 3.5" shells in the mag.
You can put four 2 3/4" or 3" shells in the same mag.

The receivers are even the same length. The ejection ports of an 870 Supermag are a little bigger (and of course there are some parts that differ internally).

If you buy a 3.5" Supermag you can run it as a 2 3/4" or 3" gun.

Even the barrels interchange (within standard models- some home defense stuff has the barrel ring farther out/magtube of different length).

You can even put a 3.5" bbl on a non 3.5" receiver. But the warning label on the bbl tells you to run 2 3/4" or 3" ONLY.
Nope what?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hookeye
Nope to "more"........a 3.5" gun will not hold more 2 3/4" shells than a 3" gun.
The mag tubes are the same length.

"As many", yes
I said "as many or more" I guess that is where I was confused.

I figured they were the same length but I wasn't sure.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Spike

You guys rock! Thanks for your help!