Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Any opinions on Rem 770? >

Any opinions on Rem 770?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any opinions on Rem 770?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

The 770 I had was one of the first two years of production and it didn't have the walker trigger, but I never had a problem with the old remington trigger. In fact I like them better then the new mark x triger, you could get it the pull weight down more and its was more crisp. The trigger liked the older remington triggers but the componets are different. the only savage I like is the old 24 combo guns. I have 5 off them 4 22 magnum/ 20 ga, and one 222/12.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
The 770 I had was one of the first two years of production and it didn't have the walker trigger, but I never had a problem with the old remington trigger. In fact I like them better then the new mark x triger, you could get it the pull weight down more and its was more crisp. The trigger liked the older remington triggers but the componets are different. the only savage I like is the old 24 combo guns. I have 5 off them 4 22 magnum/ 20 ga, and one 222/12.
***No argument here because I didn't disassemble one to check and got that information from a couple other people that had them and seemed to know what they were talking about.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I still would use it over any savage there is. It is a lot better then the older 710 that was junk. I think it will soon be phased out with the newer 783 that is out.
Saying you would take a 770 over any Savage is one of the most rediculous statements I've ever heard. If you were to choose it over an Axis, ok, maybe? Over one of their better rifles, not even close.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I would take it over any savage rifle do not like then feel and the fit off the savage. That's my opinion the only savages that I own are a model 23d and the model 24. Wouldn't buy any other savage rifle. Throwing gun I ever sold was a 340. The stock was bulky and trigger was bad and could not shoot a descent group to save it's life. I know people that savage is all they shot but I don't like them.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everybody to his own, but IMHO I would agree that you are way off on your assessment of a Savage firearm, other than possibly you don't like the fit. That's very important, but best to say that right out because it has nothing to do with their quality and that's what we're talking about on this thread. If you are also talking down the quality of their product, then I would completely disagree with you on that.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I have no direct knowledge at all of the 770, but maybe someone that actually owns one will share.
Lol... I know the reason for this question
Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The stock was bulky and trigger was bad and could not shoot a descent group to save it's life.
That is the 770 to a t IMO.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hookeye
For just a little more $ you can get a 700 ADL synthetic.

Unfortunately the new stuff has that %$# X mark Pro trigger.

I love the old Walker triggers. I adjust them after a spring swap and they are light, crisp and safe.

Too bad those on the CNBC Remington smear campaign were too stupid to follow the safety rules.

***That was one "smear campaign" that the media got right for a change. There are thousands of letters on file where people had that gun go off without touching the trigger and it's still happening because of the number out there. It's amazing that Mike Walker himself, the engineeer who designed the trigger, found out that it was true shortly after production began and he asked the Remington brass to make changes and they said no, it would cost 5 or 6 cents more per gun! This is all taken from memos and letters in the Remington files that were brought out in various court cases. Yet many people such as yourself look at it as a witch hunt, instead of the facts presented. There will continue to be more injuries and deaths because of the number of those rifles still out there and I hope yours is pointed in a safe direction 100% of the time when it might be one that goes BOOM when it's not supposed to!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-19-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
This is all taken from memos and letters in the Remington files that were brought out in various court cases.
Please give me a few references to actual court cases so that I can look them up at our Cornell Law site and read all about them.

Reading actual cases and judges comments is very illuminating.

Just the names and jurisdiction would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.