Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
270 for 'Yotes. >

270 for 'Yotes.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 for 'Yotes.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 270 for 'Yotes.

My brother brought over a buddies 270 he just picked up and wants to use it for shooting 'yotes. He doesn't deer hunt. Just shoots yotes out back to keep off the livestock. His "Dump Pit" is about 300 yds from the house back porch. Lives in a somewhat populated area, but the dump pit is in a deep ravine with a huge hill behind it.
I am wanting to build some 'yote loads but am just wanting to cut down my research and his cost a tad and am wanting to see what everyone else is using for this task. I was looking at the lighter weight Hornady and Speer rounds. Powder is not a problem. Pelts won't be kept. Just added to the pit.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a whole bunch of bulk Rem 130 grain CoreLokts from Midway several years ago for this purpose and they work just great. Cheap too. I load them to about 2800 and the cases last indefinitely. I don't care for the real light varmint weight bullets because I'm usually dealing with significant wind.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Pelts won't be kept. Just added to the pit.
This is the only part that matters.

Any expanding bullet is fine. If he's hunting coyotes for depredation control, then I'd look at something that expands in a big way, that way if it's not a perfect hit, it blows a big d@mn hole. V-max, Nosler BT, SGK/SMK, etc.

If he decides "messy" isn't his way, then the Hornady A-Max, SST, Interbond, Nosler accubond or partition, etc. Idea here is wasting energy. Harder bullets expand less, exit with more energy, and make less of a mess.

He may not stabilize lightweight bullets well, and they most likely won't be any less messy than the tougher built, "standard weight" bullets.

Don't put quite as much powder underneath them and they'll get a bit nicer on clean up also.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

57 gr of IMR 4350 behind a hornady 110 gr HP. work up to it, its a max load in my old rem. 760 pump so should be fine in a bolt gun.
RR
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Just the cheapest bullet you can find that is legal in your state. There's such a huge permanent wound channel with a high power rifle on such a small critter that even fmj would work great. Honestly not going to get much expansion (if any) with a deer bullet. With a varmint round, well if he wants to blow big holes in them just for kicks you could load him those up. Bulk pack rem core lokts would be my choice if they were cheapest. Haven't had to buy bullets in quite some time so I'm no longer up on the cheapest ones available.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking that I am going to look into the V-Max or Nos. bal. Tips for l know he could care less about mess. Just holes in hides!!!! I am also going to look into either the IMR 4350,4320 or 4064 powder and see what we get as well. The rifle is a Win Model 70 in pretty nice shape for what he paid for it. I peeked down the barrel and it looks good as well. Will know more after I clean it and look at it again.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Recommend a fragmenting bullet - I use Hornady V-max

If you are just going to dump them in your pit - what does it matter ?

Dead is dead !!!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Heck boys........

Just shoot the buggers with whatever you have before they overrun us all.

Yotes in the wire !!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

If you're not keeping pelts, shoot what the gun likes. I'd probably get some Sierras and either H or IMR 4350 and work up til I found acceptable accuracy.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Recommend a fragmenting bullet - I use Hornady V-max

If you are just going to dump them in your pit - what does it matter ?

Dead is dead !!!
Originally Posted by Wayspr
If you're not keeping pelts, shoot what the gun likes. I'd probably get some Sierras and either H or IMR 4350 and work up til I found acceptable accuracy.
Like I said, the area is somewhat populated, not wide open like the Dakotas, but not Chicago either. I want to minimize the richochet factor at all costs. Thats why I am looking at the V-Max and Bal. Tip's. I will look at the HP's as well just to see what it likes, then go from there. And yes, 'Yotes in the wire, BROKEN ARROW!!!!! He killed 9 this past week alone just off his porch rail!!!! He has a sandbag set up on his kitchen counter to put in the window for a rest now!!!!! Thank god he doesnt have a 2nd story view for he would put a shooting perch for that as well!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.