Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which 1911 to buy? >

Which 1911 to buy?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which 1911 to buy?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which 1911 to buy?

I need some advice. I intend to purchase a 1911 frame .45 ACP. After attending a gun show yesterday with the intent to purchase one, I walked away not sure which gun I should purchase. I am willing to spend around $1000 give or take.

I know I don't want a Taurus. Leaning towards Colt, SA, and Kimber. Would consider Remington if there are owners out there that can assure me they are good pistols.

Here are my questions...

Should I buy a lower end Colt or SA then upgrade the trigger? I saw a new, nickel finished SA for $720.

Or, should I purchase one with all the bells and whistles from the factory? There was a better SA with a factory installed green laser for $1,300.

Do I need an adjustable rear sight? I am seriously considering a laser sight at some point in the future.

If I do go laser, do I install a grip laser, or buy a gun with a rail below the barrel?

Nickel or blued doesn't much matter to me. I just want a 1911 that I can target shoot accurately without showing at the range and try another person's 1911 then wish I purchased something different.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kimber. Respect for my SA's, but Kimber. Never seen anything out of the Colt's that made it worth the price comparatively.

Very few Remington's that I'm willing to buy anymore based on their QC decline, and overall quality decline, including their "rookie" intro into 1911's. Been tempted to get a Ruger, out of loyalty to them, but no other reason to think it's comparable to the Kimber.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about the Rugers??? I have handled them and they sure look like they are made well, especially for the price...
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Check out the Ithaca.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look closely at the Springfield Range Officer.

I sold my Kimber and I am very happy with that decision. It was pretty but it did not make me happy on the range.

Ignore the Remington bashers. The Remington is a good entry level pistol, as is the Ruger. Of the two I would buy the enhanced Remington, but some see it differently.

You will probably end up putting more money into a Colt, but they are top drawer.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

If yer gonna buy a Kimber....buy an older one before the company was sold by the family. I have had both an older and a newer one...the newer one was a Kustom Carry II if I remember correctly...was a total POS that wouldn't run to save it's life. My older Kimber has over 10k rounds through it error free though. Also....Browning is worth considering, love my old Hi-Power in 40.

My 2 cents worth is Ruger has yet to make an autoloader worth owning...the new Remingtons seem to get a fair amount of good reviews, but i haven't handled one. My brother carries a Colt Army and absolutely loves is.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Kimber was a CDP with a 4" barrel. I have shot a few other Kimber models that others guys at the club had.

The next 1911 that I buy will be either another Colt GC or maybe an R1 enhanced. I don't think I would spend a bunch of cash upgrading the R1 but they seem solid.

The Ruger seems like a good value but some odd things have been happening lately like front sights breaking (MIM part). As long as you know that you may have to replace a small item like the sight it may be a good choice.

If I wanted a pistol for target/competition I would start with a Colt or SA, but for casual target and other use either the Ruger or Remington would do the job.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like SA's... Kimber's not so much. You may wish to consider saving a bit more and buy a Fusion. You can have it made any way you want. The main guy at Fusion is Bob Serva. He used to run Dan Wesson. Very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Check out the Fusion Firearms website.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you all for the input. I read the posts above along with many other posts from other forums. As one poster (elsewhere) put it, copying is the biggest form of flattery. Therefore, I am going to stick with the Colt brand. Now, I just need to decide whether to buy low end and upgrade or go right into the Gold Cup level. I am trying to get out of this for $1,000, but don't see that happening.

The fusion line looks great (as do any of the custom 1911s), but I am having a hard time talking myself into parting with $1,000 or more for only one gun.

Please provide your thoughts/opinions on buying low and upgrading vs. buying one with the match quality parts already installed.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

No question. If I were going to buy another .45 ACP I would save up my $$ and order one from Les Baer. The finest 1911 you can buy period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.