Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa. >

Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Unless you were issued some sort of Nuisance permit.
My ex wife tried to get one of those permits to rid herself of me. They turned her down. It just made me worse.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

if the cubs were still out during deer season they were going on 2 years old, the bear if it was a sow bit a human, she got away with it, it will be a lot easier next time, I've been in on a lot of scrapes between bears and folks, the best easiest fix is kill the bear, cause next time won't be any better, next time there may not be anyone to fire a shot, next time someone could die.
I'm gonna die one day, but won't be a dam bear decide when!
RR
Old 12-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
if the cubs were still out during deer season they were going on 2 years old, the bear if it was a sow bit a human, she got away with it, it will be a lot easier next time, I've been in on a lot of scrapes between bears and folks, the best easiest fix is kill the bear, cause next time won't be any better, next time there may not be anyone to fire a shot, next time someone could die.
I'm gonna die one day, but won't be a dam bear decide when!
RR
Sounds like we are talking about bank robbers here, not black bears.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

bull, when you live in an area where bears are use to human activity, you'll know why I feel like I do, a week ago last tueday, I killed a small male bear, 3-4 years old probably, we had 20 dogs on him, he wouldn't run, wouldn't tree, just leisurely walked around till he saw the dogs getting close, then just run at the dogs, slapping and biting, it had went on for 7 hours, we had 8 or so dogs beat up, when I moved in he wasn't backing down from me either, I was directly upwind of him, he came walking in snapping his jaws, at 20 yards with dogs out of the line of fire I put him down. when bears ain't afraid of ya, and ya got a gun it ain't bad, but if he's not afraid of ya in December he won't be in june either, some bears just need killin.
RR
Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

A couple of years ago a member of my cousins bear hunting group was bitten in the head it took 50 staples to close the wound. A quarter or a inch one way loses eye, the other hits the carotid artery. This was in training season so they could not have a gun with them. Luckily he was ok, in bear season he killed the first one he could see.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
bull, when you live in an area where bears are use to human activity, you'll know why I feel like I do, a week ago last tueday, I killed a small male bear, 3-4 years old probably, we had 20 dogs on him, he wouldn't run, wouldn't tree, just leisurely walked around till he saw the dogs getting close, then just run at the dogs, slapping and biting, it had went on for 7 hours, we had 8 or so dogs beat up, when I moved in he wasn't backing down from me either, I was directly upwind of him, he came walking in snapping his jaws, at 20 yards with dogs out of the line of fire I put him down. when bears ain't afraid of ya, and ya got a gun it ain't bad, but if he's not afraid of ya in December he won't be in june either, some bears just need killin.
RR
You might be a redneck if you tell the game warden you ain't got no bear license but that bear needed killin.

Gotta write Foxworthy with that one.

Seriously RR, I'm not what you would call a bear hunter but I've been in on the killing of a few bears, mostly stock killers. Maybe eastern bears are as different from western bears as you suggest. Every bear I've ever seen killed was most definitely scared of people and was trying to flee for its life. No arrogant demeanor. No popping teeth.

I'd like to hunt those eastern buggers just once, since I can't afford a lion hunt in Africa.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've saw I'm gonna say 1/2 dozen that were not afraid, we ran one years ago, every Friday night during training season, he'd run the same line for a mile, and climb
when we got there he was head high hangin on the side of a tree, we'd go in catch the dogs, when we had most of them he would just climb down, walk 20 feet, sit down and start popping his jaws, we didn't push him or he would just start killing dogs
another would go in the culvert trap every day, we had tagged him and all so he wasn't of much value....but when you let the bastard out he would chase you to the truck, we finaly killed him opening morning one year he weighed 363.
the absolute worst was a sow, turning dogs on her was equivelant to dropping them 1 by 1 into a sausage grinder, she alone killed 12 dogs in her life that we knew of.
they are different in the east
RR
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

If I want to play around with bad bears I'll go over around Cody and poke some griz with a stick. Or maybe AK.

These blacks we have in the Rockies want nothing to do with a pack of Plotts. And even less to do with the guys following the dogs.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 AM
Typical Buck

I just saw this thread. I am from PA (Land of the BIG black bears) and if there is a confrontation between a bear and human there are usually uncommon circumstances. The bear in the article was under stress with cubs. We occasionally get a problem bear and it is almost always the result of human contact. Lots of city folk with cabins that insist on feeding them, sloppy campers, ect. I see a lot of bears during archery and it is true, they don't run like they used to, but they do move off. Just too many people around anymore. During the summer it is nothing for a bear to come down and take a dip in a pool or walk through town heading for the river. The locals are O.K. with that, but the newcomers just can't seem to leave them alone. I don't see them as a problem. I read the paper and in all the little towns around here the problem seems to be kidds attacked by dogs (And seriously hurt). Maybe we should run the dogs with bears.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 01-04-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

I am not really a bear hunter (Have enough cholesterol problems), but I don't think it is illegal to shoot a sow with cubs in PA. I know for sure you can shoot a 50# cub and tag it. I think the Newspapers and the people involved are playing the story for all it is worth. It came out in another article that the Game Warden mentioned it was illegal to take a shot at the bear and the story started changing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.