Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa. >

Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

A local girl down the road from me was attacked by a black bear on Monday during a deer drive in central Pa.

The story from the local paper:
Black bear mauls 18-year-old hunter
December 11, 2013
Williamsport Sun-Gazette

MILLHALL - An 18-year-old girl is in fair condition after being mauled by a bear while hunting Monday afternoon, state police and hospital officials said.

Camille Marie Bomboy underwent surgery at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville and, according to reports, is recovering well from her injuries.

According to state police, the victim suffered multiple deep tissue bites to her arms and shoulders and a deep laceration to her head. She was taken first to Lock Haven Hospital and later transferred to Geisinger.

The attack occurred along the Jacksonville Road in Porter Township, Trooper Darryl Martin of the state police at Lamar said.
Bomboy, of Mill Hall, was hunting deer at the family farm at 7786 Jacksonville Road, police said, and was driving deer for a large hunting party when the confrontation occurred.

Police said Bomboy saw three black bear cubs run past her during the drive, turned around and saw a large black bear charging her.

The bear knocked her to the ground and began to bite her, but her stepfather, Mike Corter, who was nearby and witnessed the attack, scared the bear off the teen.

Game commission officials said Corter fired a weapon into the air, and another hunter in the group is believed to have put a round in the animal, which ran off after the attack.

Last edited by Mystro; 12-11-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like typical sow with cubs behavior.

Now what? Do they hunt her down and kill her as if she were stalking and killing people like a maneater?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Sounds like typical sow with cubs behavior.

Now what? Do they hunt her down and kill her as if she were stalking and killing people like a maneater?
Would hope not, the states game wardens should easily recognize this is just a series coincidences piling together.

Primary Factors
1. Mother bear with cubs
2. Deer drive also drives other animals, one of those animals was a family of bears. Would think even without the cubs if the bear felt trapped would still attack.

Lesser factors we are still a part of nature, that means with every step outside your house you are part of the food chain whether we like it or not. At some point we get the rude awakening that we can still be prey.

Hope the girl heals and carries on, hope the state uses some sense, and hope we all keep the natural process in our minds.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

It's all part of hunting. Be prepared for anything, as mentioned above,we are all part of the food chain so be equipped appropriately.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sows with cubs in tow can be dangerous. It would be a shame if the bear is put down for doing what nature has programmed her to do. It is a shame it happened and I feel for the girl but this is one case where the bear should be spared since it was protecting its cubs.

Feel free to disagree if you wish.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nah, we'll see a large public safety concern outcry since 1) it was a girl, and 2) it was a teenager (never-you-mind that she was an adult), and then the DNR will be forced to act.

They'll send out hunters and trackers, and they'll kill SOME BEAR, then the news report will say that the rangers confirmed that it was the SAME BEAR that attacked Bomboy, so public safety has been reassured...
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Nah, we'll see a large public safety concern outcry since 1) it was a girl, and 2) it was a teenager (never-you-mind that she was an adult), and then the DNR will be forced to act.

They'll send out hunters and trackers, and they'll kill SOME BEAR, then the news report will say that the rangers confirmed that it was the SAME BEAR that attacked Bomboy, so public safety has been reassured...
I fear you may be correct especially because they said one of the hunters actually shot the bear they may claim they need to find it and put it down so its not suffering.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

As long as SOMEONE pays for the crime.
Doesn't necessarily have to be the right bear.
Reminds me of our criminal justice system.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not from bear country so maybe I'm ignorant.

Why not kill the bear? Because she has cubs?

Don't people hunt down and kill bear anyway?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I'm not from bear country so maybe I'm ignorant.

Why not kill the bear? Because she has cubs?

Don't people hunt down and kill bear anyway?
Because we shouldnt just kill something for being what it is. Animals are funny that way, they are what they are and sometimes it conflicts with what we are doing or wanting. If their presence and potential harm to someone is justification for killing it then we may rid the world of many animals for no other reason then fear. Hunting Bear is done within the season and within state laws and is a completely acceptable method no different then deer hunting. Also for me personally due to the cubs should be extra reasoning. Kill the mother the cubs will die as well, unless they capture them to be raised in a park to be released at a later date which makes no sense to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.