Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa. >

Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Local girl just got attacked by a Black Bear while deer hunting in Central Pa.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I'm not from bear country so maybe I'm ignorant.

Why not kill the bear? Because she has cubs?

Don't people hunt down and kill bear anyway?
First the legal issue: It isn't legal anywhere to kill a sow with cubs.

Then the ethical / moral issue: Would you kill a sow and orphan her cubs, sentencing them to almost certain death ?

Seriously.

This bear reacted to a perceived danger to her young. It is not going around hunting people. Public safety is not an issue.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 12-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leave the bear alone. If I am hunting and run afoul of a grizzly, should they kill all the grizz because I trespassed in the bears kitchen?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Because we shouldnt just kill something for being what it is. Animals are funny that way, they are what they are and sometimes it conflicts with what we are doing or wanting. If their presence and potential harm to someone is justification for killing it then we may rid the world of many animals for no other reason then fear. Hunting Bear is done within the season and within state laws and is a completely acceptable method no different then deer hunting. Also for me personally due to the cubs should be extra reasoning. Kill the mother the cubs will die as well, unless they capture them to be raised in a park to be released at a later date which makes no sense to me.
The cubs part makes sense to me. The rest seems like over thinking to me. Although I understand to a certain extent and I understand not liking the way it is done or the publicity of the whole thing or demonizing the bear. To me its more like a bear being what it is and human being what human is.

Bear attacks human, human kills bear seems pretty natural to me I do get your point I think with all the hoopla that goes with killing the bear.

I guess I'm just thinking in to simple of terms. Animal attacks person, person kills animal(both just being what they are) but I'm sure a lot more BS goes along with it.

Last edited by rockport; 12-11-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
First the legal issue: It isn't legal anywhere to kill a sow with cubs.

Then the ethical / moral issue: Would you kill a sow and orphan her cubs, sentencing them to almost certain death ?

Seriously.

This bear reacted to a perceived danger to her young. It is not going around hunting people. Public safety is not an issue.
That is why I specifically explained I didn't live in bear country and ask about the cubs. I didn't know what that would mean for the cubs.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Not scared of black bears as normally they are much more frightened of me. Even with a cub, they will shy away if possible. Saw a cub and bear once fishing - they quietly left the area. This particular bear felt threat to the cubs from all the activity. That said, I wish we could kill about half of them around us - they destroyed my deer hunting behind my house this year. Saw only bear sign until mid-November. And saw bears many times myself, and I was not looking very hard. Next year I am bringing in a guy that guides hunts to get rid of one or two - should have done that this year.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by redgreen
Leave the bear alone. If I am hunting and run afoul of a grizzly, should they kill all the grizz because I trespassed in the bears kitchen?
No...........we should kill all the griz because they scare the hell out of me.

just kidding

pretty much
Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Spike

You should never kill an animal out of revenge. The animal lives in the moment and unless consequences are delt within seconds of the animal's actions, it will not relate the punishment with the incident. The frame of mind "Bear attacks human, human kills bear" seems pretty primitive. The bear recognized a threat, protected her cubs and ran off. No need to run after her and put her down just for doing her job.

If there as a renegade bear out mauling hikers, then it would need to be handled. This situation was simply an accident. You startle a bear and you're going to face some serious consequences.

I don't believe the sting ray that killed Irwin was offed. And I'm pretty sure the bear who killed Treadwell is still wandering around.

This is just what happens when you get too close to wild life. Things get crazy.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by KonKata
You should never kill an animal out of revenge. The animal lives in the moment and unless consequences are delt within seconds of the animal's actions, it will not relate the punishment with the incident. The frame of mind "Bear attacks human, human kills bear" seems pretty primitive. The bear recognized a threat, protected her cubs and ran off. No need to run after her and put her down just for doing her job.

If there as a renegade bear out mauling hikers, then it would need to be handled. This situation was simply an accident. You startle a bear and you're going to face some serious consequences.

I don't believe the sting ray that killed Irwin was offed. And I'm pretty sure the bear who killed Treadwell is still wandering around.

This is just what happens when you get too close to wild life. Things get crazy.
Yes I am primitive and I like it that way.

Specially if modern thinking is don't kill the bear because the bear won't relate being dead to the incident.

I get the cub thing though....that actually makes sense. Otherwise I don't see how a bear attacking a person is any more natural than a person killing a bear.

Last edited by rockport; 12-11-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

the point most are missing is this bear lost part of its fear of humans, I'm here to tell ya a bear with no fear of humans is bad news. put it down, whats one less bear from the population.
RR
Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

This is the reason to put it down and this is why it will probably be trapped and put down. The cubs will be cared for or if they are big enough, be relocated. Some of our "cubs" are two year old bears that can easily survive on their own. Once a cub is above 60lbs (1yr old) they can be independent.
No one is willing to take a chance that the bear might do it again, there will be too much liability for PA Game. There is a one strike your out when it comes to bear attacks and humans regardless of the situation. This is the same thing Alaska game does when a bear attacks a dog at a residence.

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the point most are missing is this bear lost part of its fear of humans, I'm here to tell ya a bear with no fear of humans is bad news. put it down, whats one less bear from the population.
RR

Last edited by Mystro; 12-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.