Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Effectiveness?? Mossberg 500 open sight >

Effectiveness?? Mossberg 500 open sight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Effectiveness?? Mossberg 500 open sight

Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a deer at 80 yards with a 500 iron sights smoothbore
Last year my buddy shot one bot 100 yards with nightsights out of a rifled 500 i hit one week latrr with the same gun at bout 70 yards
Id doubt its the gun
Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=SwampCollie;4101820]Sh*t yeah its realistic! I can take a hockey puck (set on end) out of your hand with my 1100 using Brenekke KOs, iron sights and an IC choke tube @ 100 yards. It shoots wonderfully. I was flat out shocked honestly because I had never heard anything but boo-hoo accuracy stories about rifle slugs in smooth bores. I tried it with just the bead sight at 50 and found it was a gracious plenty to kill a deer with... the sights doubled my range.

Beyond 100 yards the trajectory falls like a stone... The difference between 125 yards and 150 yards is steep enough to miss a deer entirely.... so I really keep it inside 100 yards so I don't have to guess. The vast majority of my shots are under 75 anyway, and no more than I deer hunt with a slug gun (maybe 5x a year) it does everything I need it to. No point in spending $800 on a slug gun when I don't use it that much (just my opinion).

If you are having accuracy issues with the cantilievered barrel....

1) Make sure you are shooting sabot slugs through a fully rifled barrel! The rifled slugs are for smooth bores.... don't confuse the two.

2) Make sure all your mounts are tight.

3) Make sure your barrel screw is tight.

4) Lastly, it might well be that the combo/bargain scope you got it goofy...

but my bet would be that either #1 or #2 are your problem

I agree #1 or #2
Old 12-17-2013, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
I got the same shotgun in 20ga, and the scope that comes with it got tossed in the garbage, but if your shooting without the scope it has no iron rifle sights, did you install them? Get a decent scope for it, the Mossberg 500 will not win any beauty contest but they shoot well for a inexpensive shotgun. By no means would it shoot as good or near my Savage 220f.

[/URL]
I also have the same shotgun...one in 12g and one in 20g...they both had iron sights from the factory, so it's possible there are multiple variations. I also pulled the scopes off and have always hunted them with open sights and have had no problem with taking deer consistently out to 150 yards. I have noticed that the accuracy varies greatly with ammo selection...it too me awhile to get the 20g to find a shell it really liked and shot accurately.

Just as a reminder...make sure you aren't using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel gun...