HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Effectiveness?? Mossberg 500 open sight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/387498-effectiveness-mossberg-500-open-sight.html)

diddywhop 11-25-2013 06:59 AM

Effectiveness?? Mossberg 500 open sight

Hi guys, I've recently purchased a Mossberg 500 combo. I've put under 100 rounds through it so far.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I'm interested in knowing the capabilities of the gun. I'm not sure how happy I am about the scope that came with the combo. I've been trying to sight it in. I can't get the groupings that I know the gun is capable of at 50 and 100 yards. I've only heard decent things about the gun, so I have a feeling its the scope (still no clue, really).

I'm curious as to know what the potential of a Mossberg 500 with open sights. I know it has a lot to do with the person shooting it, but have you seen people able to get in the kill zone at 100 yards with a shotgun open sighted? Is that too tall of an order?

If 100 yards is a bit out there open sighted, what would you guys think is more realistic?

Thanks!!

Bullcamp82834 11-25-2013 08:59 AM

I have a Mossberg 500 with a 24 inch barrel and open slug sights. ( the one with a flip up rear and ramp front)

This gun will keep all the slugs in about a 5 inch group at 100 yards. I don't think I'd take a shot at over 100 but inside that range I'd have no qualms shooting deer or bigger game.

Nomercy448 11-25-2013 12:24 PM

What we believe is possible doesn't matter at all. How you shoot this weapon is the determining factor.

If you can accurately judge (or rangefind) 100yrds, and place 3-6" groups at 100yrds from a HUNTING POSITION, then you can kill a deer with it.

If you can't place 6" groups at 50yrds, then you have no business shooting 50yrds, let alone 100yrds.

If you have 100rnds through it, you should know where it is hitting, and how you are grouping. If not, then go buy some slugs, put up a target, and figure it out.

diddywhop 11-25-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 (Post 4101430)
I have a Mossberg 500 with a 24 inch barrel and open slug sights. ( the one with a flip up rear and ramp front)

This gun will keep all the slugs in about a 5 inch group at 100 yards. I don't think I'd take a shot at over 100 but inside that range I'd have no qualms shooting deer or bigger game.

Thanks for actually answering the question!

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-25-2013 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the same shotgun in 20ga, and the scope that comes with it got tossed in the garbage, but if your shooting without the scope it has no iron rifle sights, did you install them? Get a decent scope for it, the Mossberg 500 will not win any beauty contest but they shoot well for a inexpensive shotgun. By no means would it shoot as good or near my Savage 220f.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104535180

Nomercy448 11-25-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by diddywhop (Post 4101489)

Straight forward answer: in capable hands, barring any individual 'problem' shotguns, a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel and a load it likes should be able to put up 'deer killing accuracy' at 100yrds.

Again, that means absolutely nothing for you, your shotgun, and your load.

Bullcamp82834 11-25-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by diddywhop (Post 4101489)

You're welcome.
I like my Mossberg 500 and have several barrels for different purposes.
It's rugged, reliable, simple to strip and clean, and has a very nice trigger for a shotgun in that price range.

SwampCollie 11-26-2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by diddywhop (Post 4101400)
I'm curious as to know what the potential of a Mossberg 500 with open sights. I know it has a lot to do with the person shooting it, but have you seen people able to get in the kill zone at 100 yards with a shotgun open sighted? Is that too tall of an order?

If 100 yards is a bit out there open sighted, what would you guys think is more realistic?

Thanks!!

Sh*t yeah its realistic! I can take a hockey puck (set on end) out of your hand with my 1100 using Brenekke KOs, iron sights and an IC choke tube @ 100 yards. It shoots wonderfully. I was flat out shocked honestly because I had never heard anything but boo-hoo accuracy stories about rifle slugs in smooth bores. I tried it with just the bead sight at 50 and found it was a gracious plenty to kill a deer with... the sights doubled my range.

Beyond 100 yards the trajectory falls like a stone... The difference between 125 yards and 150 yards is steep enough to miss a deer entirely.... so I really keep it inside 100 yards so I don't have to guess. The vast majority of my shots are under 75 anyway, and no more than I deer hunt with a slug gun (maybe 5x a year) it does everything I need it to. No point in spending $800 on a slug gun when I don't use it that much (just my opinion).

If you are having accuracy issues with the cantilievered barrel....

1) Make sure you are shooting sabot slugs through a fully rifled barrel! The rifled slugs are for smooth bores.... don't confuse the two.

2) Make sure all your mounts are tight.

3) Make sure your barrel screw is tight.

4) Lastly, it might well be that the combo/bargain scope you got it goofy... but my bet would be that either #1 or #2 are your problem.

rockport 11-26-2013 05:54 PM

You have to guide the recoil of a shotgun straight back. Slugs are not fast enough to exit the barrel before the recoil effects the shot.

UncleNorby 12-09-2013 11:49 AM

I have the 500 with the smoothbore slug barrel, rifle sights. It will shoot rifled slugs into a 2-3" group at 50 yds no problem. I'd shoot deer out to 75 yds without a second thought. The situation would have to be ideal to shoot to 100 yds for me, but the slug will do the job without question.