Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 wsm

Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I'm in the market for is basically a practice rifle. Something with some range that I can go shoot a lot without breaking the bank.

I have a .223 and I know I can get some ammo pretty cheap but not the quality hunting ammo (that I know of) and I don't want to have to be sighting in different ammo all the time.

Maybe I should just go with the HMR

I don't have anything in this caliber range so its a clean slate here. Meaning that whether its enough better than similar rounds already on the market is not much of a factor for me because I don't already own those similar calibers.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
What I'm in the market for is basically a practice rifle.
22lr .
Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Tundra10
22lr .
Hard to argue with that logic.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
22lr .
I'm looking for longer range than that. I have several 22lr
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

If it fits your needs, just buy it. I bought a Savage 93 laminated stock in 17 HMR and have been able to find ammo in the stores. From what I can see, 17 HMR looks like the ammo supply in stores is going to be fairly stable (necessary prerequisite for a rimfire round). I haven't seen 17 WSM ammo in the stores yet and don't recall seeing any of the BMag rifles but wasn't looking for the rifles. If 17 WSM ammo becomes stable also, I will probably look for a rifle and buy one, just because. 17 WSM ammo and rifles may be more available in your part of the country. If you already have more than one 22lr in your gunsafe, one more 17 rimfire isn't going to upset the applecart.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
If it fits your needs, just buy it. I bought a Savage 93 laminated stock in 17 HMR and have been able to find ammo in the stores. From what I can see, 17 HMR looks like the ammo supply in stores is going to be fairly stable (necessary prerequisite for a rimfire round). I haven't seen 17 WSM ammo in the stores yet and don't recall seeing any of the BMag rifles but wasn't looking for the rifles. If 17 WSM ammo becomes stable also, I will probably look for a rifle and buy one, just because. 17 WSM ammo and rifles may be more available in your part of the country. If you already have more than one 22lr in your gunsafe, one more 17 rimfire isn't going to upset the applecart.
Yeah I am going to buy a .17

I had already decided on the HMR but then I got wind of the WSM and thought I would see if I could get some real world experience opinions on it first.

The last thing I want is to get a caliber where I have to chase the ammo though.

Last edited by rockport; 11-19-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

I hear you. I stockpiled on 22lr about 2 or 3 ammo shortages ago in the 90's and am glad I did. I am slowly acquiring 17 HMR ammo a couple boxes at a time because it's available and well, just because.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the .17WSM is a great round with great potential. I'd love to see a 5mm or a .22 WSM in the future.

Right now the problem is the ammo shortage for it has driven prices through the roof on the secondary market. Guys will find a bit for retail someplace and put it on gunbroker for $50 a box, when it retails for around $17.

When the price comes down, it will be a perfectly affordable alternative to a sub-cal centerfire.

The issue I personally have with the thing right now isn't the cartridge or even so much the lack of availability with it..... the Savage BMag is a ruddy POS rifle. It isn't worth a penny over $250 IMO at full MSRP. Part fitting is poor, fit and finish sucks etc etc. Of course its a low end rifle but if I am waiting for a higher quality rifle to be produced in this cartridge (other than a $1200 single shot). I'd like to see Ruger 77 in the 17wsm.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Given about 6mos to a year, you won't be chasing ammo for the .17WSM.

Rimfire ammo is a bear to come by right now, so that's not necessarily the .17WSM's fault. But, I'll give the experience with the .17M2 and .17HMR as an example.

They "came out", which is to say they were announced at SHOT show, then on websites, news releases, magazine articles. Everyone went looking for them on a shelf, then said "well I won't buy one because I can't find ammo". But the moral of the marketing story was that people went looking for it, more than half the battle in sales.

Production is always behind press-releases, so we didn't see ammo regularly on the shelf for about a year after their supposed releases. After that, it was became a supply and demand thing.

So no, it's not easy to find today, but given a few more months to 1) let the ammo craze finally die off (already started) and 2) let production catch up to the press releases, and you'll never have problems finding ammo for the .17WSM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I'm looking for longer range than that. I have several 22lr
Try mastering em at those longer ranges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.